Power Steering Pump leaking ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I think thats where I messed up. I used prestone power steering fluid. How should I drain the fluid out to replace it w/trans type F? Remove the pump, turn it upside down?

Thanks...
You could use a small, hand operated, fluid transfer pump to get most of the fluid out of the reservoir. Refill with Type F, start the engine, cycle the steering several times, and repeat the procedure once or twice to essentially flush the system including the box and the hoses. It is quick, easy, and no fluid mess. Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Do you think its coming out b/c i used the wrong fluid?

Thanks Chuck. Do you think its coming out b/c i used the wrong fluid?
I've never used anything except Type F and I've never seen the reservoir overflow (unless it was over filled). Assuming the power assist and steering work properly, other than the overflow, I'd start by changing out the fluid. It sounds like the expansion rates of the two fluids may be significantly different. I know the pumps don't seem to operate quietly on anything other than Type F. Let us know what you find out. Chuck

Mine is working with ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and i have no issues at all...

I'm not into this subject per se, but if the reservoir is spitting fluid, that means or the expansion rate as chuck says is incorrect or the liquid you're using is somehow boiling...

Another thing that comes to my mind is the posibility of having some modification of the inner reservoir design... some reservoirs just have an specific shape inside to prevent spilling

No, I think thats where I messed up. I used prestone power steering fluid. How should I drain the fluid out to replace it w/trans type F? Remove the pump, turn it upside down?

Thanks...
This would be the quickest and best way to get at least 99% out. YOu need the thickness and consistancy of the ATF F Type fluid to have the internal valves working properly. I believe the Prestone PS Fluid is not thick enough and not allowing enough pressure to open the internal valves, so this could very much be the reason why it's spewing out the cap. Replace the fluid with any brand ATF F type fluid and lets hope the spewing goes away. I'm pretty sure it will, good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back