Power Steering Pump Pulley

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
Looking for some help/advise. I should be watching the football game, but no such luck.

I'm in the process of replacing my power steering pump. I bought the new pump, just needed to remove the pulley from the old pump, sounded easy, but it's turning out to be a nightmare. I attempted to remove the pulley with a 2 claw puller, the pulley broke in several pieces. Now I probably can't turn it in for my core reimbursement, and I can't find a replacement pulley.

Just 2 questions. Is the car safe to drive without the power steering pump hooked up? and...

Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement? Thanks in advance.

there is a special puller that grabs the notches on the hub and pulls out the pulley, you can rent it at most chain auto parts like Advance, Autozone, napa etc.

New pulley ebay or some of the mustang restoration parts suppliers, junkyard if your lucky to find a pre 80's ford.

You can drive a little like that, but it puts tremendous strain on the rag joint that is probably old and may fall apart, also any bump on the road can cause you to lose control since the pump is not there to do the work. I would avoid driving.

I would not take a chance driving w/o a power steering pump.

Try Don at Ohio Mustang he might have a pully or you could try Motorcity Mustang. Another idea is try Ponypastor, he is parting out mustang.

Jim

Looking for some help/advise. I should be watching the football game, but no such luck.

I'm in the process of replacing my power steering pump. I bought the new pump, just needed to remove the pulley from the old pump, sounded easy, but it's turning out to be a nightmare. I attempted to remove the pulley with a 2 claw puller, the pulley broke in several pieces. Now I probably can't turn it in for my core reimbursement, and I can't find a replacement pulley.

Just 2 questions. Is the car safe to drive without the power steering pump hooked up? and...

Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement? Thanks in advance.
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. I'll continue the search for a a new pulley. This forum (website) is the best!

you should be able to replace the power steering pulley easily check with ohiomustang, hemikiller, and if you get desperate i have a few more contacts you can try.

right now there are a few on ebay as well. just match the part # on your old one.

as other mentioned there is a special tool that both removes the pulley and installs one. the center shaft of the power steering unit is threaded and the tool attaches to it allowing very easy removal and installation of the power steering pulley and also the alternator pulley. the remover is 4 piece you insert a threaded rod into the center shaft then a 2 piece collar locks around the pulley nose, and a locking ring goes around it that has a nut on it, you hold the nutted end of the threaded rod with a racket and as you turn the nut on the pulley nose with a open ended wrench the pulley is forced off.

to install there is another similar tool that pushes the pulley onto the shaft and keeps you front pushing it on too far.

otc-4530_w.jpg

the tool is kind of expensive and i remember it was hard to get as well, had to be backordered to get one. there are these cheap pullers I've seen for 20-40$ they are total junk and don't work with the ford pulley.

I can't remember where i bought mine maybe from OTC. I'll have to take a look. i think the tool costs 150-200$

It is a good excuse to buy the tool if you like tools.

I bought the puller and installer at NPD for about $25 each, they did a great job on my old pump. I need a new pump, where did you end up getting yours and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking?

you should be able to replace the power steering pulley easily check with ohiomustang, hemikiller, and if you get desperate i have a few more contacts you can try.

right now there are a few on ebay as well. just match the part # on your old one.

as other mentioned there is a special tool that both removes the pulley and installs one. the center shaft of the power steering unit is threaded and the tool attaches to it allowing very easy removal and installation of the power steering pulley and also the alternator pulley. the remover is 4 piece you insert a threaded rod into the center shaft then a 2 piece collar locks around the pulley nose, and a locking ring goes around it that has a nut on it, you hold the nutted end of the threaded rod with a racket and as you turn the nut on the pulley nose with a open ended wrench the pulley is forced off.

to install there is another similar tool that pushes the pulley onto the shaft and keeps you front pushing it on too far.

otc-4530_w.jpg

the tool is kind of expensive and i remember it was hard to get as well, had to be backordered to get one. there are these cheap pullers I've seen for 20-40$ they are total junk and don't work with the ford pulley.

I can't remember where i bought mine maybe from OTC. I'll have to take a look. i think the tool costs 150-200$

It is a good excuse to buy the tool if you like tools.
Thanks for the help and advise. I actually found a pulley at rode restoration in ohio. I rented the the exact tool you described from autozone. Thanks to everyone for your input!!

Latest posts

Back