Power Windows for your Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 H Code Convertible
Hi all. Not sure how many convertibles were made without power windows, but it seems like most I see don't have them. Obviously a pain to have a power top but have to go around to the windows to manually wind them down. My car didn't come with power windows either so I started looking at the options, and there are many. Ultimately I chose SPAL kits to do this as I felt they were the least expensive option while still having something modern (not having to fix factory pancake motors is a plus:))

So here we go.

First I bought two of these kits:

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=3300-0030

And this switch kit:

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4990-50-356&Category_Code=

There are lots of options for switch kits and I know this one is a GM style, but I felt it matched the classic look better than most of the others.

Here's what the motors look like installed in the front door, this is the drivers side:

100_3516 (Large).JPG

100_3517 (Large).JPG

At first I thought I would put the set of 4 switches for the driver controls in the door panel:

100_3520 (Large).JPG

100_3570 (Large).JPG

But after I used it that way for a while, I changed my mind and moved it to the console instead. With the switches installed in the door (the only place I could fit them without cutting the door) they were too hard to reach when the door was closed. Here's the switches installed in the console:

100_0635 (Large).JPG

100_0636 (Large).JPG

Here's some shots of the motor install in the rear quarters:

100_3486 (Large).JPG

100_3487 (Large).JPG

100_3488 (Large).JPG

The kits come with templates for trimming the door panels for the covers you have to use to go over the window crank gear. Here's what they look like installed as well as the switch mounts in the other interior panels:

100_0641 (Large).JPG

100_0645 (Large).JPG

100_0646 (Large).JPG

100_0639 (Large).JPG

100_0644 (Large).JPG

After having had these for a while I find them very convenient and there have been no real issues. The 4 way switch is a little hard to remember which one controls each window but you get used to it. I don't find that the covers for the window cranks are obtrusive, but I think that is more to do with having changed to a black interior. The covers only come in black so if you have a different colored interior you'd have to paint them.

I would recommend the kit but be warned it is a lot work to find a way to mount the motors, run the wiring, cut the door panel holes, etc, etc. The kit does come with all the hardware to mount everything, but it relies on having pretty flat metal doors. I had to use my imagination and small bits of my own hardware to get the motor side mounted properly. Aside from that I would say these kits are fine and work well.

Greg

Thanks again Greg for your great post, and the very helpfull pics.

Couple of questions if i may -

Firstly, if i wanted to place the new power switch controls over all the existing cut out holes for the winder cranks, could i, or will they cover the original holes in the upholstery or not? I ask because i see you've relocated every power switch position, front and back.

I quite like your idea of locating the main switch panel in the center console for ease of operation as well.

Secondly, could you tell me what you think about the quality of the whole kit/are the motors powerfull enough/ have you had any operational problems with this system at all (windows not going up and down smoothly for instance - swithches playing up - that sort of thing)

So for you, how would you rate this system out of five - five being the best. Any feedback about what i've mentioned above would be greatly appreciated Greg.

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, if i wanted to place the new power switch controls over all the existing cut out holes for the winder cranks, could i, or will they cover the original holes in the upholstery or not? I ask because i see you've relocated every power switch position, front and back.
No, I don't thing you can unless you get a different switch kit. The window cranks protrude into the panels so unless you had something that mounted completely on the outside of the panel, I'd say not possible.

Secondly, could you tell me what you think about the quality of the whole kit/are the motors powerfull enough/ have you had any operational problems with this system at all (windows not going up and down smoothly for instance - swithches playing up - that sort of thing)
The quality is fine. I don't have any issues with raising and lowering any of the windows. I even tightened my door window felts quite a bit and they still have plenty of power to move them. Switches are about like you'd expect for mid 80s GM:) They work fine and I don't see any reason they wouldn't last for at least 10 years;

So for you, how would you rate this system out of five - five being the best. Any feedback about what i've mentioned above would be greatly appreciated Greg.
Out of 5 I would rate it a 3, but that's only because it requires advanced skill to install. It's not a 1-2-3 instructions bolt on and go. You need to have some idea how to install things like this. I will say the SPAL instructions are really good, and they have some good examples on how to mount things.

Greg

Yeah, I get your point regarding the power top and having to walk around the car to crank the windows.

I'm so glad mine came with the factory power windows. The upgrade would definitely be on my list if it didn't.

Great post, thats on my list but way in the future. I book marked the site and I also appreciate the review type feed back between you and Austin Vert. Thanks for the post

Any way to leave the factory handles on the shaft? If you also hid the switches inside the console the car would still look absolutely stock.

It would also be somewhat cool to see the handles spin when you rolled the windows up and down.

There was a kit a few years ago that left "handles" on the door panel but turned them into the switch. Pull up window goes up, push down window goes down. They did not work with the factory handle in the factory location.

Thanks for the great post!

Paul

Any way to leave the factory handles on the shaft? If you also hid the switches inside the console the car would still look absolutely stock.
No, there is no way. The gear mechanism goes over the top of the crank. I suppose you could glue the window crank on:):)

One thing I forgot to mention, the kits come with an emergency handle too. So if power is not working and you need to get the windows up, you just pop the cover off and insert the emergency crank to wind them up/down manually.

Greg

Thanks for sharing this - I've been eyeballin' the Electric Life Universal Kits for a few years now... and you've helped me finalize my decision. ::thumb::

I can't wait to get to the point of installing my own cool things like this.

For anybody interested, I have a complete power window setup for the convertibles, glass, motors, all wiring and switches. The switches are 73's. I also have power window door glass for fastbacks.

For anybody interested, I have a complete power window setup for the convertibles, glass, motors, all wiring and switches. The switches are 73's. I also have power window door glass for fastbacks.
HI Steed,

I could be seriously interested in what you have there for sale.I am seriously interested in kitting out my '73 Convertible with electric windows.

Could you please post more background info on what you have got in more detail please? Ie - history of the items, acccurate condition of all items,have the pancake motors ever been worked on or serviced,condition of glass, and what kind of money you would want for the whole kit,reason for selling on, etc, etc.

As i have been the first to reply,could you allow me or give me the first right to buy off you please? Based on the info you supply, it won't take long for me to say yes or no to the purchase. Even PM me if you want.

That info would be much appreciated indeed.

Many thanks,

I picked up a loaded 73 vert probably 10 years ago. H code, 4 speed, ac, pw. I wanted to restore it but the numbers I received from the shop was mind blowing. Back then, i didn't do the work. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have parted the car out. I don't recall the glass but knowing that it was an ac car, I presume the glass is tinted. All the windows worked. Back then, I was picking up any pw stuff i could find. I have NOS switches, along with the originals. I think I have extra motors too. I also believe I have the dash harness for the car, with tach, along with the pw harness. I think they make replacement door motors but not rear ones. Or vice versa.

I take a look at the glass and do an inventory on the parts. I believe i have fastback windows too, for pw.

Reason for selling? No big reason. I saw the post and figured I'd throw in a hook. I'll get back to you on this.

I picked up a loaded 73 vert probably 10 years ago. H code, 4 speed, ac, pw. I wanted to restore it but the numbers I received from the shop was mind blowing. Back then, i didn't do the work. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have parted the car out. I don't recall the glass but knowing that it was an ac car, I presume the glass is tinted. All the windows worked. Back then, I was picking up any pw stuff i could find. I have NOS switches, along with the originals. I think I have extra motors too. I also believe I have the dash harness for the car, with tach, along with the pw harness. I think they make replacement door motors but not rear ones. Or vice versa.

I take a look at the glass and do an inventory on the parts. I believe i have fastback windows too, for pw.

Reason for selling? No big reason. I saw the post and figured I'd throw in a hook. I'll get back to you on this.
Steed,

Thanks for getting back to me. The glass i'd need would be clear not tinted i'm afraid. You can't buy new replacement rear pancake motors, but a company called Nu Relics does complete new rear window replacement motors and mechanisms.Do your original pancake motors look like they've ever been worked on?

Hear from you soon,

Hi Steed,

Just wanted to let you know, and all other forum members, that i've decided to pull out of being a propective buyer of your Ford power window gear you have for sale.

I havn't heard back from you, so i'm assuming the trail's gone cold for whatever reason. I've decided i'll more than likely go with Nu Relics brand when i come to kit out the car later.

Thanks for the offer and the opportunity to purchase.

All the best,

Well - I'm finally here. This coming weekend, I'll be stuffing the glass back in and it'll be time to add the power windows & locks before the rest of the interior goes in.

Question: who carries these, and what are they called? I'm going to be having a small bundle of cables passing through the doors and lower A-pillars (power window, power lock, speakers).

ewc_69_75A.jpg

http://www.hydroe.com/product_detail.html?id=9934

Next question: are there some kind of stock locations/punch-out type things? Or is this one of those "pull the fenders" kinda deals? (I have a feeling I know the answer)

Back