Pulling motor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I turned wrenches for several years and can't count how many engines I've R&R'd....it was very rare that the engine and trans were done together, but I do recall it was way more of a PIA when they were done that way. I guess it's all in what you're used to.

I installed the engine and transmission separately and borrowed an engine crane from a mate. It was rated 2750lbs. Used a carb plate and installed headers after. I'm not pulling engines all the time or else I would have bought my own. My local parts store has them on special for AU$199 (US$150)

s-l1600.jpg

You can even rent hire these for $50 a day locally.

I did consider making a gantry with a block and tackle after beefing up the trusses in my workshop. A gantry would come in handy on the farm! But the engine crane did the job well and didn't take away any time from my more important project :)

Hope this helps.

...Mickus

Last edited by a moderator:
Mustangs have that longer front that most hoist can't reach far enough. One thing you don't want is to over reach and tip and just dump everything (not good, can't drink enough beer to fix that) Had one that I Modified for just that reason by adding 12in to both lower outriggers and the reach and a place to hang weights on back. It always better to have someone help too.....

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but with so much knowledge floating around I wanted to ask a question. If you already have headers installed and you want to pull the engine out, can you pull it out with the headers on? or you just detach the headers and then pull the engine out? If the latter is the option, then when you reinstall the engine, you left the headers in the car, and then attach them after the engine is back in the car.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but with so much knowledge floating around I wanted to ask a question. If you already have headers installed and you want to pull the engine out, can you pull it out with the headers on? or you just detach the headers and then pull the engine out? If the latter is the option, then when you reinstall the engine, you left the headers in the car, and then attach them after the engine is back in the car.
I reinstalled my 393 with the headers on and tranny still in the car, it was tight just be patient and have someone helping.

Ok lets go in a little different direction. I have a Kubota tractor with a front end loader. This is a medium size tractor that I have knocked down and picked up large trees so a moror and trans would be like picking up a scoop of heavy soil.

Has anyone ever used a tractor to remove and install?

I am actually doing an engine swap between an 85 and a 89 Jeep wagoner 4 wheel drive. I am trying to avoid removing the front radiator support and grill like we did when we removed it.

We used the Cherry picker style lift like the one pictured to remove it but it does not go up high enough without removing all of that.

W

I reinstalled my 393 with the headers on and tranny still in the car, it was tight just be patient and have someone helping.
I installed mine with headers and trans.

scgamecock: Yes, have used a FE loader to remove/install an engine. The loader we used produced some fairly coarse adjustments when lining things up, so it was like a bull in a china shop. Admittedly, most of these cases involved heavy equipment, but I think there were a couple of pick-up trucks and maybe a car or two mixed in.

tony-muscle: In my experience, whether or not the headers come out/go in with the engine has been on a case by case basis. In nearly all cases, the headers complicate things in one way or another...it's a sort of "pick your poison" type choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basstrix is spot on!

Hey W,

I have a 45hp Kioti which is the Korean copy of the Japanese Kubota. I have a set of forks that I can attach to the bucket attachment point on the front hydraulic arms. I use this all the time for lifting chained items. I don't think I'd use it for lifting an engine out unless I wasn't concerned about collateral damage. Controlling vertical movement is pretty smooth but horizontal side to side relies on me hard steering whilst slightly moving forward or reversing. If I was lifting the motor out of the farm ute I would be happy using the tractor.

Hey Tony-Muscle,

I installed the engine in my freshly painted mustang (including engine bay) without headers and transmission. The headers are certainly easier to bolt up to the motor with the motor out but I test fit the headers before I pulled the engine out and they slipped in and bolted up effortlessly. With my engine bay and engine freshly painted I wanted to slip the engine in unencumbered so as not to accidentally damage anything. I suppose if I was doing this kind of thing on a regular basis I would have possibly done this differently but at the end of the day I was very happy with the install with no curse inducing damage. To answer your question, If you have stock manifolds I would probably leave the exhaust manifolds attached but disconnect the exhaust from the manifold for engine removal. In my case, with my hooker headers, I would remove the headers first to make the engine easier to manoeuvre. That's just me though. Hope this helps.

Cheers...

...Mickus

Back