Pulling the Cleveland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
Removing the 351C without taking out the transmission.

This will be the first I've done with an automatic transmission. My 84 Vette and 70 Mustang manuals.

How tough is to separate the two? Torque converter an issue?

Its a pretty straight forward process. Take off the four nuts that hold the converter to the flexplate and then remove the bell housing bolts. Make sure that you put something on the tranny front end to hold it up as when you separate them as the front end will drop. I use a transmission scissor jack to hold it up. Also make sure that you remove the torque converter as the weight will warp the front seal if you leave it in place for a long period and you will have a leak when you reassemble them.

Best to remove the radiator too as it gives you room to pull the motor fwd and helps separate the 2 pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
After you unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate, slide it back towards the transmission so it's free.. Just use a flat blade screw driver and pry the two apart gently..

Yes, very easy. I never liked pulling/installing engine and trans together...can't recall that we ever did that in the shops I've worked for.

Do everything already mentioned. Before you separate the engine from the trans, support the trans with a floor jack under the pan. I like to leave one bolt on each side of the engine (finger tight) until I get the trans weight supported. I put a 2x4 between the pan and the jack. Raise jack just enough to hold at same height as engine. Separate and raise the engine out of the way. Once the engine is out, you can wedge a 2x4 of appropriate length between the upper lip of trans case (bell housing) and the cross member....alternately, you can run a pair of wires (coat hanger works here or bailing wire) from upper bolts on trans case to one of the tower braces. This way you can remove the floor jack, move the car around, etc.

If you've never installed a torque converter, I suggest (before you remove it) you push it all the way towards the trans, then measure across the case to the end of the hub or the base of a stud. This will give you a reference when you put it converter back in to make sure it's fully seated. Put a pan under the trans when you pull the converter...it's going to dump a bit of fluid if the engine was recently run.

When you go back together, you basically do the reverse. When you install the converter, first set it in place and push in, then rotate and push in, and continue until it doesn't move back any farther. It will drop into and engage each set of splines as you rotate it. Next, you want to line up the converter studs with holes in the flex plate. Pick something simple like 12 o'clock for both the flex plate and the converter studs.

Issue I'm currently having I can get to the bolts for the flexplate.

I can only see two and can't get to the others the thin metal gasket is still in place.

If the torque converter is attached to the flex plate - shouldn't it just slide forward with the rest of the enigne?

Tim

I can only see two and can't get to the others the thin metal gasket is still in place.

If the torque converter is attached to the flex plate - shouldn't it just slide forward with the rest of the enigne?

Tim

You have to turn the engine over by hand to get to the other torque converter bolts. There are hooked pry bar like tools for this purpose or you can use a block of wood and a pry bar. If you left the torque converter attached to the flexplate it would come apart but as soon as the torque converter slid off the transmission shaft the torque converter would dump all of its fluid on the ground. It isn't good to take them apart like this because you can bang up seals, the end of the torque converter, and or the transmission shaft. Not to mention that it makes the engine assembly longer because the torque converter is still attached.

You never ever want to drop in an engine with the torque converter attached. The end of the torque converter has a slot cut in it that drives the oil pump inside the transmission. If you drop the engine and torque converter in as an assembly you could force the two together without the drive being meshed destroying the pump or more. If you pull the torque converter off the transmission when you put it back on you need to turn it by and and gently push until you feel it "clunk", then turn and push some more to make sure the converter is fully engaged.

Tim
If you leave it bolted up you will make a big puddle of transmission fluid and that is another several inches of length you would have to worry about when getting the engine out. The little inspection plate at the bottom of the bellhouse should just have two little fasteners. You need to get that off anyway or it will keep you from easily seperating the engine from the transmission. You can also use the starter opening to help get the the converter fasteners. I use a screwdriver between the bellhousing and starter ring to turn the engine to the next fastener.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose you could, I never have, I've always pulled them together or separated the torque converter from the flexplate. You should be able to rotate the engine 180° and get to the other two. Pulling the torque converter with the flexplate will make it difficult to follow basstrix's excellent suggestion about measuring the location of the torque converter in relation to the bellhousing.

I have pulled my Mustang motor twice and this weekend I pulled the Roadrunner motor. I have found it is easier to separate the flexplate from the torque converter than try to remove it with the converter still attached. You just need to roll the motor using the Harmonic balancer bolt to get to the other nuts on the plate. You could remove the spark plugs to get rid of the compression as you rotated it but it's really not necessary. Once you have the flex plate bolts off push the converter to the rear and it will slide back about a quarter inch and you are ready to separated the tranny from the motor.

Trying to pull with the converter attached requires at least 10 inches clearance in the front to pull the motor forward because you have the depth of the converter plus the notched shaft to clear the tranny drive shaft. Also the alignment of both pieces must be perfect for the two pieces to slide apart.

This weekend I used a tranny jack to hold it up and when I took the bellhousing bolts off the two pieces separated on their own. Did not have any tranny fluid leak either.

While you have the engine out, pull the torque converter out and pop a fresh seal in. Murphy's Law applies here if you don't. Make sure the converter is fully seated when you put it back in. Spin and push in at the same time, you'll feel several separate, distinct "clunks" as the converter seats into the tranny.

While you have the engine out, pull the torque converter out and pop a fresh seal in. Murphy's Law applies here if you don't. Make sure the converter is fully seated when you put it back in. Spin and push in at the same time, you'll feel several separate, distinct "clunks" as the converter seats into the tranny.
http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Back