Question for a machinist

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you would hit water and strike oil. The water jackets are very close on the intake port short side radius. The top of the intake port would likely break out into the rocker area. On the exhaust side the 4v ports would break out the top of the port bosses.

Just thinking and wondering, would it be possible to take a 2V Aussie closed chamber head and mill/port it to match the dimensions of a 4V head?

I realize it would probably be cost prohibitive, but is it otherwise possible?
You can just buy a set of M code closed chamber heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically NO, not enough metal/meat to open them up that much, But a well ported set of 2V heads with a 4V exhaust valve, will make some good power - 400-450hp with the right set up,

enought to break a 4 pinion LSD 9' inch third member

ask me how I know..

I don't think you want to. I have 4v's and 2v's and love them both but bottom line the 2v is the better head below 5000 rpm for street use.

My Edelbrock Torker for the 4v heads is MUCH smaller than the 4V port. There is a freakish difference. It's meant to be this way due to the huge 4V ports. I would love to stick the 4V torker on my 2v motor!

A local shop uses 4V heads, and a Yates intake gasket that is in between the 2v and 4v size and fills the port with epoxy and makes the ports smaller, and more efficient. They also use a flow bench to make sure it is done properly and flows equally and flows well.

Look @ the port plates made by MPG , they make that 4v port smaller and more efficient .I would stick with the Aussie head as is and look for gains in the Intake exhaust and camshaft design.

My 4V motor is on a drag car that see's a max rpm of 7000.Big 3200 conveter and 5.14 gears too.

I don't think you want to. I have 4v's and 2v's and love them both but bottom line the 2v is the better head below 5000 rpm for street use.

My Edelbrock Torker for the 4v heads is MUCH smaller than the 4V port. There is a freakish difference. It's meant to be this way due to the huge 4V ports. I would love to stick the 4V torker on my 2v motor!

A local shop uses 4V heads, and a Yates intake gasket that is in between the 2v and 4v size and fills the port with epoxy and makes the ports smaller, and more efficient. They also use a flow bench to make sure it is done properly and flows equally and flows well.

Look @ the port plates made by MPG , they make that 4v port smaller and more efficient .I would stick with the Aussie head as is and look for gains in the Intake exhaust and camshaft design.

My 4V motor is on a drag car that see's a max rpm of 7000.Big 3200 conveter and 5.14 gears too.
My friend fills the intake and exhaust ports as well for better flow characteristics on the race engines that require stock castings. Some do not want to hear the 4V head/port is not perfect though. :D

I did the opposite on mine. I filled the intake runners to match my AFD heads. If I ever change it out I think I might try the Air Gap as it has smaller ports on the runners already compared to the 4v. On the2v with 4v vales I have always been told that with enough money anything is possible to do.

I've already got 4V Closed chamber heads. It was a question I had, not a plan per se. I did not know that the water jackets and oil passages were different between the two castings.
Me either. It's a great question and we all need to be open minded and not be afraid to ask these type of questions !

:D

Latest posts

Back