Question for the Vert Brigade.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
HIi Folks,

Came across this Vert for sale and noted that the chrome and stainless trim that holds down the parade cover has been modified with studs. I wrestle to put my new cover on, and thought this was not a bad alternative to capture the cover along the back, to make it more of an easy fit. You would have to install new female studs to your parade cover to match up of course.

However, as a departure look from trad factory, what do you think of how it does look. Is it ugly, and ruins the car's appearence, or does it add to the appearence? Would you do this to your own Vert? If my parade cover was not such a big effort to put on, i'm sure i would make use of it more often. Hhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

BTW - I don't mind the look of the Stayfast Fabric top either.

Reference ....................

Click on small pic icons for close up shots.

http://www.carpictures.com/photos/max/13GCF04352716529/Ford-Mustang-Convertible-with-Mach-1-Options-1973#

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
As an owner of a 65, I am comfortable with that look. I think it looks good on this car. But it's one of those things-it's hard to go back once chosen, as the parts are hard to come by. You have to be sure. I do like the look.

Thanks Judge,

You're right, the mouldings are hard to replace or come by per say. If you were to do this mod, it would pay to have a good backup set in the background just in case.

Yeah, i agree with you and think it doesn't look too bad myself. This cat has gone to the trouble of setting the studs just right with correct and equal spacing and width alighnment

as well. Well executed.

I think it looks ok. I've been pondering that same thing for mine as I hardly ever care to break my fingers to put the top boot on.

I would use the "Tenax" fasteners. Google it, I only get German websites when I search for it.

Those are the small fasteners used on vintage euro cars and also the Shelby Cobras.

By the way, I use them for strap locks on some of my guitars.

The top has a lock that requires you to pull the middle tab up so it releases. The usual fasteners only need pulling, kinda like on your usual western shirt.

The Tenax ones will not come off, no matter how hard you pull.

Plus you need no pressure to put them on as they slide over the pin on the base and once they are in the right position they lock.

Thanks Mike,

I'll check Tenax out. I haven't got a prob with the way they look. Kinda gives the car a masculine grunty feel.

Look's like you've been struggling to get yours on as well. I admit you've got to have some pull tension happening when it's installed, but

the fit is just too tight. Maybe age, stretching, and the sun would help the bugger to eventually fit more easily.

As mentioned by Austin, the installation of the snaps is very well done so it looks acceptable. Would like to see a pic with the cover installed.

I've always liked the look of (clean) Stayfast fabric in black.

I've found over the years that it takes a couple weeks of stretching the boot cover in hot sun during occasional drives to really stretch-form the cover so its easy to put on but also stays in place at highway speeds. The fabric should have some elasticity to it. Mine was made by TMI and aside from one broken snap has lasted 14 years. I start with pulling the middle into position and then work one side at a time.

ALERT!!!

Please be very careful with that seller. Over the last few years I've seen him selling stangs that look pretty much the same as this one, then all of a sudden after a few weeks, they're back on ebay. He also sells rear deck stripes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Convertible-or-Coupe-Trunk-Stripe-Decal-Kit-/280863195512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164c04178&vxp=mtr

Plus he goes under two different names on ebay.

Proceed with serious caution.

Maybe age, stretching, and the sun would help the bugger to eventually fit more easily.

Nah, not really. I also have what seems to be the original top boot and it wont fit either.

I really don´t care about putting it on because I use my car so often that I am constantly putting the top up and down.

I often drive and the sun comes out and I spontaneously drop the top only to put it back up an hour later when it gets dark or cold.

It would be a drag to always waste time with the top boot but once in a while I´d like to put it on just for looks but I usually give up. I would put it on more often though if I knew I didn´t need a whole day off to wrestle with it.

ALERT!!!

Please be very careful with that seller. Over the last few years I've seen him selling stangs that look pretty much the same as this one, then all of a sudden after a few weeks, they're back on ebay. He also sells rear deck stripes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Convertible-or-Coupe-Trunk-Stripe-Decal-Kit-/280863195512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164c04178&vxp=mtr

Plus he goes under two different names on ebay.

Proceed with serious caution.
Thanks for the head's up MP. What do you think of the stud look as such?

Mike, that's very true in regards what you say here. The amount of times you would use the parade cover would maybe not justify going to the expense and trouble to mod the mouldings and cover.

About 20 or so years ago my father took my Mustang to an upholstery shop. As a birthday gift he had them cover the dash and make a new top cover.

The dash cover had stiches in the front. It looked okay.

For the top cover they drilled holes in my trim and installed snaps. It works fine. Looks okay. I got a repo 'non snap' from Don and Ohio Mustang a few years ago. The non-snap original style looks awesome. It is smooth. It is clean.

But it is a major pain to get on. So often times I don't put it on.

The snap on cover looked okay too, not a clean as the other one, but easy to put on.

I plan on trying to put snaps in a standard top. My thought is I can hide them. We will see how it goes.

Another option would be to have a custom cover made that was just a bit larger and looser than the original. This would make it so much easier to get on.

We have said we were going to do this years ago but just never did it.

I ask an upholster about it once and she said it would be no big deal and not much money. If it looked a little loose once installed you could just bump the top up a wee bit to take up the slack under the boot.

I also make sure that I beat the top of the wheel houses down as much as possible and in a way that the top frame folds all the way flat. An extra inch in the right place makes it much easier to get the boot clipped / snap into place - still a pain but easier.

- Paul

Thanks Paul,

Now that's not a bad idea at all. I will approach my trimmer, and get a quote on getting a custom made one done up. Yes, the roof frames do protrude up and get in the way, although i am hesitant in modifying the wheel wells.

As mentioned by Austin, the installation of the snaps is very well done so it looks acceptable. Would like to see a pic with the cover installed.

I've always liked the look of (clean) Stayfast fabric in black.

I've found over the years that it takes a couple weeks of stretching the boot cover in hot sun during occasional drives to really stretch-form the cover so its easy to put on but also stays in place at highway speeds. The fabric should have some elasticity to it. Mine was made by TMI and aside from one broken snap has lasted 14 years. I start with pulling the middle into position and then work one side at a time.
Installing and leaving it on for a while does ease the "pain" of install. It's funny Bill, I install mine ends first then back then the seat side.

About the snaps, it looks fine but I like the clean look without them.

The snaps are ok. I don't like the white walls tires. Mine had white walls when I bought it and the first thing I did is buy new BF Goodrich Radials TAs. The white wall tires where dry rotted big time.

John

Thank's John,

Well it seems to be that the main general concensis says the snaps or studs are quite acceptable to you guys. Conclusion would seem to say that if you wanted to go that way, you wouldn't be stuffing up the overall appearence of your Vert by putting the studs on the trim. That to me is a good result, because i myself thought that the studs looked pretty good. So the choice would be up to the particular owner as to what he wanted to do.

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

Latest posts

Back