race engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
I am getting ready to build a new car for the strip. The car is a 77 mustang and I am thinking of going with the windsor. The only one I know anything about is the cleveland. I think is what I am trying to ask is which will give me more bang for the buck. The car is going to be strictly a race car. Will post pics of the car as soon as I can.

Jim

Hard to beat a cleveland for all out racing small block....Most motors need head work and still mite not flow as good as 4v's..That alone saves a ton of money from having to get race heads...Good for spinning high RPM'S..Stronger block and smaller crank, Jack Roush said they pushed the stock 351c cranks up to 9500 rpm's lol..Cleveland block is well built and can handle more HP than any other small block of the 70's...Little heavier than W block thou...But for a screaming race machine..I would take the 4v Cleveland over a original Windsor block...Now if you talking Windsor Dart block ..Now that is a dif story ;)

Windsor defenatly would be easier to bolt up in a 77 stang thou and parts cheaper....You mite find out the clever hard too fit in the mustang 2...302 barely fits...But heck i seen pinto's with 460's shoved in them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This all comes down to what if anything you have to start with. If you have a good 351C core use that. If you don't the 351W will be a little cheaper to build horsepower to horsepower.

A 408 Clevor would be a beast. Like Don65Stang said, a 460 could be a monster, too, but they're heavier and fitting it under the hood may be problematic. Good 351C cores are getting harder to find, but 351W cores are readily available. There are lots of parts available to upgrade 351W's, too. Edelbrock makes aluminum Clevor heads, but other options are also available. Should be fun! :)

And, what kind of racing?
Ditto:

Big difference between runing the stock classes all the way through to Super Comp.

I ran Super Gas and and Super Comp for years with a Cleveland. Expect to spend around 30K on the driveline.

If you are going to run the Stock bracket classes then you are good with what ever you run.

The overall yearly track champion year after year at our local track drove a 65 Flacon with a straight 6 cly automatic. He ran exactly 18:20 no matter what. He would nearly always win. He has 3 or 4 hundred little trophies in his shop

When he was up against a fast car he would be at half track before the other car even started. They always seemed to breakout trying to catch him. He had lots of fun.

I have a full roller/solids stroker 351 Cleveland long block that made over 700hp. 1/3 solid block, 4V massively modified open heads with hi-port exaust plates, 13:1 comp. Nothing but the best internals. It is state of the art stuff if it were still 1979 - LOL!

I have sold the fuel and crank trigger ignition system so it need some stuff to start and run.

It has 36 passes on it since we went through it - Pushed a 2600 pound car into the low 9's.

It is for sale for 7500.00. You will spend another 3k or so for intake, carbs, pumps, ignition, headers, on and on and on.........

But like others have said you can't beat a Ford Crate Motor.

- Paul

Woodsnake it will be flat out drag racing. Will be running in the pro class at my home track.

I have 3 351C blocks at my shop and picking up a Windsor motor next weekend from a guy I know that is getting out of the car hobby.

Jim

Listen to Paul!
Thanks,

I think it is sad that heads up racing is nearly gone from "affordable" drag racing.

(Rant on) While I am at it I also hate delay and other "control boxes" - Fast car launches, falls on its face, launches again, all to try to hit the index. Might as well go down the track one at a time. (Rant off)

I wish they would match cars up by dial in, the staging lanes would be a logistical nightmare, but it would make for a better experience.

If I were to race again I would just go find me a 65 Falcon with a 6 and fill my shop with little trophies.

- Paul

Listen to Paul!
Thanks,

I think it is sad that heads up racing is nearly gone from "affordable" drag racing.

(Rant on) While I am at it I also hate delay and other "control boxes" - Fast car launches, falls on its face, launches again, all to try to hit the index. Might as well go down the track one at a time. (Rant off)

I wish they would match cars up by dial in, the staging lanes would be a logistical nightmare, but it would make for a better experience.

If I were to race again I would just go find me a 65 Falcon with a 6 and fill my shop with little trophies.

- Paul
true..If it runs perfict every time and hits the sec on the mark...But i seen alot of 6 cils and such perfict runing machine get beat by sand baggers thou..And seen sand bagger trailers full of troophies too..lol...I know a guy called smokin roy...drives a big dodge with a built 440 under a beat up old dart...He sand bags the hell out of slow cars at the quarter mile strip...lol..I seen a ugly bus too runing 18 secs in the quarter mile every time..and he sand bagged that guy in the end and took the troophy and put it with the rest...lol

for those who do not know what sand bagging is...that is usualy a person that has enough power in their car to run faster than there times...So when the slower car takes off...sand bagger with cunning and some smart thinking..catches the slow car..and makes sure there nose is just barly in front...till the pass the finish line so he either wins or breaks out....i go too alot local races...And i still have never seen a 6 cil take the big troophy at renegade or spokane strip...Does not mean it wont happen thou..lol

and i agree...they should match cars up equal...So people cannot game the game so much..But i guess no matter which way..Some will will game it..lol

Listen to Paul!
Thanks,

- Paul
true..If it runs perfict every time and hits the sec on the mark...But i seen alot of 6 cils and such perfict runing machine get beat by sand baggers thou..And seen sand bagger trailers full of troophies too..lol...I know a guy called smokin roy...drives a big dodge with a built 440 under a beat up old dart...He sand bags the hell out of slow cars at the quarter mile strip...lol..I seen a ugly bus too runing 18 secs in the quarter mile every time..and he sand bagged that guy in the end and took the troophy and put it with the rest...lol

for those who do not know what sand bagging is...that is usualy a person that has enough power in their car to run faster than there times...So when the slower car takes off...sand bagger with cunning and some smart thinking..catches the slow car..and makes sure there nose is just barly in front...till the pass the finish line so he either wins or breaks out....i go too alot local races...And i still have never seen a 6 cil take the big troophy at renegade or spokane strip...Does not mean it wont happen thou..lol

and i agree...they should match cars up equal...So people cannot game the game so much..But i guess no matter which way..Some will will game it..lol
We ran the 9.90 class in car that could run 8.20's just for that very reason - LOL. (big block ford - not a cleveland)

A new NHRA track is opening in central mo - I hear they are going to do more street nights and heads up grudge matches. I hope so.

My son wants me to build a "rat rod race car" and go have some low buck fun.

- Paul

Thanks,

- Paul

We ran the 9.90 class in car that could run 8.20's just for that very reason - LOL. (big block ford - not a cleveland)

A new NHRA track is opening in central mo - I hear they are going to do more street nights and heads up grudge matches. I hope so.

- Paul
Very cool man....Ya for braket racing you need to be a magic man with time sometimes lol..What kinda car did you have the 460 in? ..My family is originaly from Poplar bluff MO...i been down there quite a few times over the years..Still got family down in that area.

Only place we can get away from bracket racing for the most part, watch the big boys like john force and such up at pacific raceways..lol...Good thing about Wa State...We have 3 quarter mile strips spread out just perfict...One on the west coast...one in the middle...And one on the far east...And a few smaller 1/8 drag strips too..Which still after all these years i have not went too a 1/8 mile track yet..even know one semi close too me..Just seems like 1/8 is just a bit small for me to enjoy watching..lol..Let alone driving and have to rig your car setup dif.

Very cool man....Ya for braket racing you need to be a magic man with time sometimes lol..What kinda car did you have the 460 in? ..My family is originaly from Poplar bluff MO...i been down there quite a few times over the years..Still got family down in that area.

Only place we can get away from bracket racing for the most part, watch the big boys like john force and such up at pacific raceways..lol...Good thing about Wa State...We have 3 quarter mile strips spread out just perfict...One on the west coast...one in the middle...And one on the far east...And a few smaller 1/8 drag strips too..Which still after all these years i have not went too a 1/8 mile track yet..even know one semi close too me..Just seems like 1/8 is just a bit small for me to enjoy watching..lol..Let alone driving and have to rig your car setup dif.

The last body was a 93 Tbird - all tube chasis with a Lenco. The only factory panels were the quarter skins. Our absolute best time was a 7.96 at 171 mph

The first car body I ran was a 73 Maverick with a Cleveland. It has been Mustang II's, Granadas, one Probe, and T birds through the years.

I currently play with 2003 Cobra street car that runs high 11's

We usually did not fit the engine in a car but we found a car to fit the engine. We ALWAYS bought unfinished (i.e.they ran out of money) projects for 50 cents on the dollar or less. Every time we stepped up a class it was when we found a lighter, better, newer chassis. Sold what we had left over and went on.

I once bought a full certified Morrison pro-stock rolling chasis that had never been on the track for less than 10K cash. The guy had to have 5 or 6 times that much in it.

It was a Camaro so I put an off the shelf BBC and trans in it and sold it turn key for 25K. The car ran mid 12's all day long and they had nothing but fun with it for years.

- Paul

- Paul

Definately the 460...

Back