Racing Junk Whats your opinion?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
So what is everybody's opinion on Racing Junk?

For those that don't know it is the stuff that gets run for a season or 2 and gets sold. I live in an area with a good chunk of various racing. So alot of this stuff finds its way to Craigslist after the racer moves to the next setup.

I ask because right now I am looking at multiple sets of Windsor Jr. Heads on Craigslist for about $400. Ported and polished, setup for Solid Roller Cams which I could change easily to hydraulic. Yes I know Cast Iron and the Windsor Jr. is a bit dated for head tech. But they are Cast Iron which makes the head pretty darn strong compared to a Aluminum Head.

But at $400 for a set of dyno proven cast iron heads I am leaning towards giving a set a whirl. Looking at building a new motor anyway so cams, springs and such are already included in my budget.

I know multiple people who have purchased complete race motors and dropped in a car for DD fun. Personally I am not a fan of the adjustments that go with Solid Roller Setups. To each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you asking if Jr's are worth $400?

Provided that they're not beat to death (worn guides, whooped seats, valve stems/tips, cracks, etc.), heck yeah!

Dated, schmated. Don't need to keep up with the Joneses to have good clean fun!

I recently found a few sets of mildly worked vintage C9/D0 351W heads in an old garage, beside a complete, as last raced, dirt Sprint car that that hasn't run since 1980. Car even still has its original hand painted graphics and plywood wing! It has a Clevor with 2V heads, and an alky Hilborn setup on top! While I'd just die to have its whole engine, I may try to score a pair of the iron Windsor heads in its spares department to put on the shelf with my GT40X's. The real (today's) value of them probably isn't what the owner has in mind, but it's worth a shot to me.

No keeping up with the Joneses here. But as I plan out my motor these seem like a much more reasonable idea considering my research shows a good set of rebuilt GT40's go for about $500. A new set of reasonable Aluminum heads are 1-2k.

IMO at the $400 price point I would expect they might need some work. Possibly a rebuild even but still alot less than many other options when considering dollar cost for performance.

There is nothing wrong with used race parts, many parts of my engine are cast off drag racing parts. (rockers, valves, retainers, keepers, timing chain)

The part that concerns me is the ported and polished part. Be sure the ports are not hogged out so big the will not work with your intended purpose. Bigger is not always better. It is critical to match components (intake, heads, cam) to get the best performance. $400.00 is not a bad deal if they are not all messed up.

Back