Radiator Overflow Tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short pipe fills the tank from the bottom. The long pipe goes inside almost to the top. So it acts as a vent for the tank and as an overflow for the overflow

I never installed it. The previous owner had installed the thermostat backward and I was having an overflow issue. Once I turned it around it never happened again. The kit contains L brackets and rivets but I've never even tried to put it in and my car isn't home so I can tell exactly where it would go

I had to make a steel bracket in the front to mount it to. I didn't want to cut any unnecessary holes. Mine is a "Just in case" install. You can see it through the grille, just behind driver side sport lamp. But I don't think it looks bad.

Hi

Are you asking because regulations call for an overflow?

Is it because you think you need one?

Mark

P.S. There is a fill line on the radiator 2 1/2 inch's below the water neck , usually all the cars you see SPITTING water "owners over filled before going to their car shows".

Hi

Are you asking because regulations call for an overflow?

Is it because you think you need one?

Mark

P.S.  There is a fill line on the radiator 2 1/2 inch's below the water neck , usually all the cars you see SPITTING water "owners over filled before going to their car shows".
No, no regulations behind. I hate for sure when i tip my radiator after some maintenance and forget about it (and I forget every time), then some days or weeks later get that scary moment of steam/leak again! :)

It's more that an overflow works two ways in case of coolant shortage, provides a small reserve and can be filled on the way even if engine is hot. That's mainly why, i'd like to add one like on every modern engines and this unit is looking nice. I'm hesitating on buying it because of the available  clearance near fill area. I'd rather prefer a slightly less tall, bigger one but can't find any good looking one in stainless or aluminium. That's why I asked about where people installed it, if its okay and curious about potential alternatives.

edit: I think I'll go for this one,

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/oer-60761

Last edited by a moderator:
Back