radiator questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
'72 302 C4 trans: Car does not overheat and runs strong, but radiator has rust in the bottom of the tank at the drain valve. I get no antifreeze draining out even with the valve removed,

My question is: is it cost effective to replace the radiator, or have it "boiled out"? Is an aluminum radiator the way to go if I end up replacing the old radiator? I have no leaks from the radiator either.

about 250 will get you an aluminum universal radiator of decent quality. Not sure if anyone local to you boils them out anymore, but if you can find someone that will do it, it is the route I would go given that you don't have any cooling issues.

you can poke a coat hanger in the hole to try and clear it.

if you look inside your rad cap hole and see rust in th tops of the tubes, you need to have it dodded out for maybe $100.00.

you can also mix 1/2 lb per gallon of oxalic acid and fill your system with that then run it for 10 minutes then let it sit for 3 days then drain it, then fill it up with water and 1/4 cup of baking soda and run it for 10 minutes then drain it then fill t with water and run it for 10 minutes and drain it then fill it with anti freeze mix.

if your block has drains, you should drain it there also if they still open.

you can also install a gano filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, always start with the least aggressive solution first.

Rust is from the engine block itself.

Corrosion would be from the aluminum parts, such as water pump or the rad itself.

I'd start with only a garden hose. Remove the rad and flush it "backwards" with just a high volume of water, not high pressure.

Rust chunks in the block will accumulate at the bottom of the water jackets, behind the freeze plugs. So, depending on how thorough of a job you wanted to do, may require removing the water pump and/or freeze plugs.

High water pressure or acids can make more of a problem than what you have now.

Point is, even if you clean or replace only the rad, it will only be a matter of time before the real problem surfaces... again.

Back