Radio Antenna Dilemma.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Just wanted to give a quick head's up, on a new radio antenna i purchased from C J Pony, and got it in the mail today from the States to Australia.

As i'm sure you would obviously know, the standard factory antennas don't telescope down to the fender height level. Like many Mustang owner's know, this can be a real pain if you are trying to fit a cover over your car for example. I was attracted to C J 's, Dynacorn brand telescopic model. (see link below)

Now i'll take most of the blame for this, because i did not do enough thinking and homework before i jumped in and made my purchase. Where i went wrong was i assumed that this particular model antenna, telescoped all the way down to the fender. Silly me!:s Upon examination today, i've discovered it does not. It does telescope down to a certain height and stops. You are then left with a protruding antenna that would be around about a foot and a half to two feet or so standing tall from the fender top. What's the point of a telescopic antenna if it doesn't collaspe all the way down.:dodgy: The concept to me is self defeating, and i mind's well keep my original antenna. It's worth noting too, that this model telescopes up way taller than the original Ford antenna does. I don't want to go electric either, because i like the look of the original antenna design,except for the basic fact that it does not collapse down, and i don't believe that they make an electric model that replicates the original design. So back to square one again. Loose/loose!

The only friendly advice i would give the boys at C J Pony, would be to state on the description page,that it does not fully collapse down to the fender, thus giving their customers warning and knowledge in advance, so they know what to expect. I won't ship my antenna back to the States,to try for a refund, as the postage charges are too expensive. It's a real pity, because the product itself looks to ba a quality made item

So lesson learned - do your homework and fully check out your products as best you can before you make your purchases. Shopping online from overseas countries makes it harder and doesn't help either.

Thanks,

Greg.:(

Reference link..........

http://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-telescoping-antenna-rectangular-base-1968-1973/p/ANT20/

Last edited by a moderator:
With your input I can tell, looking at the picture, that it wouldn't go down all of the way.

If I ever get a repaint I am seriously thinking of going with the antenna in the back. I like the looks better.

Are you looking to remove it for a cover?

I have a 73 antenna that the mast can be un-screwed / removed

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many younger people get what a telescoping antenna means.

The point of them was not for a car wash or for a car cover or to make them disappear.

They were designed to be adjustable in length so you could fine tune a radio frequency.

People complained about it and for 73 ford changed to a unscrew-able mast antenna thus you lost the ability to fine tune the oem radio.

Then people complained about how crappy the OEM radio was and they started swapping them out for aftermarket models.

Forgotten technologies :)

Don
I have this one and it looks like the original but when you unscrew it it is basically flat with the fender. No issues with covers.

Not many younger people get what a telescoping antenna means.

The point of them was not for a car wash or for a car cover or to make them disappear.

They were designed to be adjustable in length so you could fine tune a radio frequency.

People complained about it and for 73 ford changed to a unscrew-able mast antenna thus you lost the ability to fine tune the oem radio.

Then people complained about how crappy the OEM radio was and they started swapping them out for aftermarket models.

Forgotten technologies :)
Wow good memory! I remember buying a Pioneer Supertuner radio and really appreciating its quality and easy 'tunability'. I think I still have it somewhere in the pile! :)

I like the original antenna. Just have to be really careful when placing/removing car covers...

Ray

Not really relevant, but I had the body guy fill-in the antenna hole and bought a Retrosound Amplified Hide-away Antenna - no more "sticky-ups" for me. :D

Don
My antenna was a Ford part but it did not go down or unscrew. I assume it was from an earlier year.

So I bought this unit from Don and I'm very pleased. I don't have it fully extended and no problem with radio reception. Plus it can come off if needed.

Jeff

My antenna was a Ford part but it did not go down or unscrew. I assume it was from an earlier year.

So I bought this unit from Don and I'm very pleased. I don't have it fully extended and no problem with radio reception. Plus it can come off if needed.

Jeff
As you mentioned, the Ford part you have may not be the correct one for your year of Mustang - hope this helps---

Taken from one of c9zx's (Chuck's) archived posts:

"MCA judging criteria for 1971-1973 concours trailered/driven:

... Section 2, Exterior, item K. "Antenna: Rectangular base 71 - collapsible round mast. 72 - collapsible or fixed round mast. 73 - fixed round mast. Documentation required for rear-mounted or other antennas..."

Ray

Jeff
As you mentioned, the Ford part you have may not be the correct one for your year of Mustang - hope this helps---

Taken from one of c9zx's (Chuck's) archived posts:

"MCA judging criteria for 1971-1973 concours trailered/driven:

... Section 2, Exterior, item K. "Antenna: Rectangular base 71 - collapsible round mast. 72 - collapsible or fixed round mast. 73 - fixed round mast. Documentation required for rear-mounted or other antennas..."

Ray
Actually, now that you posted that it looks like for the 73 I should have a fixed round mast! And I did. Now my car is incorrect as I have a telescoping unit that unscrews. However, that is what I wanted. I have the other antenna put away.

does anyone have pictures of the proper antennas for 71,72,73

I'm having an issue trying to figure out what is the proper antenna, I have the original base, but I think my mad is replaced with an aftermarket one (I'll post pictures later on today)

the car came with an AM radio.

71-73 base looked similar when the top chrome plate was snapped on.

The base was retractable for 71-72 and fixed screw on shorter antenna for 73.

the base was cast and has 4 screw holes for mounting to the fender.

the antennas were suppose to be dealer installed not factory installed from all the info i have and it came with a fender template for mounting to the top of the passenger fender so you could get the alignment just right.

there is a rubber seal then the base, 4 screws, then the top plate snaps on to cover everything.

the Antenna wire has a plug seal on it which caps the hole in front of the passenger side door hinges were the wire goes into the car.

antenna2.jpg

71-72

D1ZZ-18813-A

D3ZZ-18813-A

Back