Ram Air hood?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang Ricky

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
I was told when painting the Ram Air hood to measure up 2" from the bottom edge. Can anyone tell me is that from the start of the hood or where the molding ends?

hood.PNG

I just sent the diamentions to your email address

Don

When my 71 yellow n black Mach was painted, they painted the whole hood black then put the yellow on and then the clear so their's no edge, raised paint line, if you know what I mean..

546426_434874229871803_1742645042_n.jpg

540057_434875136538379_851108138_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Used a 71 Mach1 NASA Hood stencil from phoenic graphics on mine. Just followed the instructions that came with it, painted a hot rod black over the bright red paint that was on the hood, turned out nice.

Stencil.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember there was lots of discussion included with the stencil whether it's 3" from the hood's edge or 2". "They" said the correct placement is 2" from the molding's seam which on my car makes it 3 1/4" inches from the outer edge of the hoods lip. You can see that on the photo I previosly attached. I went with their instructions, right or wrong.

I noted Don sent you some measurements to your PM, I'd go with them if I were you, Don knows these cars much better than most and I'm betting what he sent you is correct.

Back