Ram Air install with Petronix Billiet distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
I have a 73 Mach 1with a 351 Cleveland and have successfully installed a ram air with the Petronix Billet Distributor installed. I have a Summit 750 CFM carb installed with the edelbrock 2750 performer intake. As I already suspected and this forum stated fitment would be a problem since the Petronix Billet distributor is about an inch higher than stock. I installed the air cleaner assembly and marked the air cleaner to start cutting. After cutting the assembly with a Dremel tool, I took some cardboard to make the shape required to seal the air cleaner. I used some spare sheet metal and tack welded it into place and afterwards it fit perfect. I did have to use the alternate method for the ram air rubber seal to make the hood close properly as suggested by Tony Muscle here: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/looking-for-alternative-ram-air-plenum-seal.40780/ and it fit great.

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpeg
    IMG_1443.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1436.jpeg
    IMG_1436.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
To begin with, anyone can see that your Pertronix Billet distributor is a derivitive of a GM distributor, and is therefore too big externally. Pertronix does make a "Stock Look" distributor for the 351c/460 engine, which is proportioned like the factory Ford Distributor. You just didn't look far enough into Pertronix products. Google Pertronix, and scroll through their catalog and you will find the distributor that looks and fits correctly, while offering all of the benefits of their triggered ignitions. Check out The Pertronix distributor part # D134620, it's probably what most people will want. Pertronix also offers a bronze gear, for those running roller cams ( part # D671303 ). I see various people posting about "Billet" distributors. This is just a "buzz word" of our times, where ignitions are concerned...a Billet distributor won't add any more power or be any more precise, but will cost more, it's simply how it's made, like cast valve covers and billet valve covers. And PLEASE people, stay away from all of those GM HEI style distributors. They work, but don't fit or look right at all on a Ford.

Last edited:
To begin with, anyone can see that your Pertronix Billet distributor is a derivitive of a GM distributor, and is therefore too big externally. Pertronix does make a "Stock Look" distributor for the 351c/460 engine, which is proportioned like the factory Ford Distributor. You just didn't look far enough into Pertronix products. Google Pertronix, and scroll through their catalog and you will find the distributor that looks and fits correctly, while offering all of the benefits of their triggered ignitions. Check out The Pertronix distributor part # D134620, it's probably what most people will want. Pertronix also offers a bronze gear, for those running roller cams ( part # D671303 ). I see various people posting about "Billet" distributors. This is just a "buzz word" of our times, where ignitions are concerned...a Billet distributor won't add any more power or be any more precise, but will cost more, it's simply how it's made, like cast valve covers and billet valve covers. And PLEASE people, stay away from all of those GM HEI style distributors. They work, but don't fit or look right at all on a Ford.
Spike, I am not sure where you're "to begin with" or "I just didn't look far enough" statements come from but they are not appreciated. There are multiple other posts that state you cannot run a ram air with a pertronix billet distributor, this thread is to show others that if they want to, they can do it with some minor modifications. Yes, others, including yourself may want to maintain the stock look and there may be others that do not. Their cars, their decision. I am providing an option for a method if they currently have or want to buy the pertronix billet distributor and have or want to add the ram air in the future, can do it instead of listening to those that say it cannot be done. Oh and by the way, when I was purchasing mine, I did see the other part number that you reference, and once again, my car, my money, my decision.

Tom

You are absolutely correct, and I totally agree with the "my car, my decision" point of view, no arguements there, and if my "To begin with"and "didn't look far enough" comments appeared as an insult or demeaning, you have my sincere appologies. My intention, was to bring to the forefront that you need not modify the air filter can, to install a performance Pertronix distributor, they manufacture ones that fit with no modification. Your post didn't include any information that you knew about any other option, and/or passed on selecting it, so I naturally assumed you weren't aware of it's existance. No worries. I didn't mean to sound like an Arse.

Last edited:
Back