Ram air sealing?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan Mach72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1
351C 4V, 4 speed
Alum flywheel
McLeod clutch
Torque biasing diff, 3.5:1
31 spline Strange SS axles
Dual 2.5" exhaust
When I install my ram-air plenum, should I use some sealer between it and the hood? Also should I seal the ducts to the plenum & scoops? If so, what with - RTV? Note I'm more interested in functionality then concours as it's a repro/semi custom install anyway.

The only sealing they used from the factory was some foam tape along the inside edge of each scoop where they mate with the plenum. No "sealer" of any kind used when mounting the plenum to the hood.

Thanks folks, guess I'll just get it screwed in then. I have the repro ducts with no flappers so will have full time fresh air for better mileage as well as performance. I won't be driving it much in the cold/wet so should be ok.

If you are using Leon's repro ram-air parts and are going to run it open full time, make sure you block off any other opening on the air cleaner and/or snorkel. If there is any other opening in the air cleaner other than the scoops you will never build enough pressure to have any "ram" effect.

Ford's factory system was designed to close all other flaps/valves/openings when the ram air flaps opened.

I have always been dubious about any real performance gains with this...I never noticed any difference with or without the system working.

But...it sure looks cool!

If you are using Leon's repro ram-air parts and are going to run it open full time, make sure you block off any other opening on the air cleaner and/or snorkel. If there is any other opening in the air cleaner other than the scoops you will never build enough pressure to have any "ram" effect.

Ford's factory system was designed to close all other flaps/valves/openings when the ram air flaps opened.

I have always been dubious about any real performance gains with this...I never noticed any difference with or without the system working.

But...it sure looks cool!
" Ford's factory system was designed to close all other flaps/valves/openings when the ram air flaps opened. "

Kit, the snorkle door is controlled by the bi metal sensor in the bottom of the air cleaner - it senses heat

The door is either open to the heat riser or end of snorkle - I don't think there is any way to close it off

I do agree ram air was for wow and nothing else.

You're right, I thought about that right after I posted it. The heater flap stays open regardless, so there clearly is nothing even approaching a "sealed" system on the factory set up. I still say it looks cool!

Yeah, there will be no other air entries in the system. I am using my old 351C CJ air cleaner base. I removed the snorkel & blocked off with a bolted in plate and the small vents next to this are also blocked. I blocked off the additional vacuum motor controlled opening the other side and fitted a breather from this to the driver side rocker cover. All mods are reversible in case CJ restoration is ever done - for trivia buffs note the car has the factory chrome air cleaner lid.

Back