Ram Air with an Air Gap Intake

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you all my setup for Ram Air using an Air-Gap intake. I have not run the car yet as I ended up moving just as I finished putting the engine in the car. I hope to have the car completed within the next few months. This is more just a show-and-tell :)

[video=youtube]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFCUGbh1YY

Machlovin,

Wow! Goosebumps! That is nice! I have the air gap type of intake on my 302 roller motor. Who is the manufacture of yours?

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap, and the funny thing is all the Spectre air intake bits (the silver tubes) are all off the shelf and didn't need to be cut... they fit perfectly. I did buy 6" extension tubes however to make it fit the way it does.

Oh that's just too damn cool ! :udaman: Keep us posted how it works out . :cool:

Very nice. I actually thought of doing that and running the intake tubes on either side of the radiator. But yours looks awesome.

One question...what if you get caught in the rain? I have often wondered if water got pushed in.
I was thinking of just covering the ports up from the inside using little flaps. Once you remove the plastic honeycomb 'grills' then you can slip a thin sheet of plastic between the two stampings of the hood to block off the vents. When I trailered my car some 1000 miles to my new location that's what I did as it did in fact rain.

That is way cool! Is all the extended weight supported by just the carb?
Yes. The main casting that has the "Y" shape sits on the carb and it is the majority of the weight. The rest of the unit is fairly light. I trailered the car some 1000 miles and everything stayed put, so it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back