Real Mustang Radio???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDM

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1971 Coupé
Hey Guys,

I've been looking for a radio the past few days and I found something, now after doing some digging I am getting a little confused.

This is the radio..

Schermafbeelding 2014-06-11 om 22.32.00.png

Schermafbeelding 2014-06-11 om 22.32.08.png

My question… Is this actually a real mustang radio and from what year? Couldn't find it on the net and don't know about the mustang "sign" could just be a sticker or whatever..

Thanks in advance!

No that is not a factory radio - at least not for 65 - 73

If it was a ford radio it would have a Ford logo and part numbers

For 1971 Mustang: AM radio is part number D1ZA-18806, "PHILCO" on face,

AM/FM radio is part number D1ZA-19A241, "MUSTANG" on face, no balance slider below buttons, AM/8 track part number is D1ZA-19A242, "MUSTANG" on 8 track door. The part numbers are usually stamped on the metal case but, I've seen printed numbers as well. Good luck on your search.

Chuck

EDIT: the metal bezel for the AM/8 track has a larger opening than the one used for the AM or AM/FM.

1971 Radio AM.jpg

1971 radio am:FM.jpg

1971 Radio AM:8track.jpg

No casette-players available 71-73, only AM radio, AM/FM stereo, or AM with 8-track stereo.

All with huge mechanical black plastic radio station buttons, bulky in size and relatively heavy.

I think i remember reading something about a stereo off brand called Mustang. Could be wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck, I have never seen the AM/FM with the word mustang on the face, what year was that from?

Ray and I had a discussion about this a few week age.
1971. Not 72 or 73. Also note no balance control in 71 but there is for 72 and 73. Chuck

Chuck, I have never seen the AM/FM with the word mustang on the face, what year was that from?

Ray and I had a discussion about this a few week age.
1971. Not 72 or 73. Also note no balance control in 71 but there is for 72 and 73. Chuck
Yep - that is where I got 'schooled' (again)!

Great info Chuck and thanks for posting the pics!

Here is one I see in MANY 71-3 Mustangs. This one happens to be from a 75 LTD. Similar but no cigar.

Original_Aeronutronic_radio_75_LTD.jpg

Ray

Back