REALLLLY long test drive???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My initial reaction is no way.

However, how much are you asking? how are you representing the car? Are you asking high dollar for an 'original' or a fair price for a higher milage car with some restorations.

If it is the first, and the guy is serious, he should come take a quick look, take some pics and then bring back some inspectors. If it is the second then it is kind of unreasonable, especially taking it to his interior guy. Almost sounds like he wants to do a quick flip on the car.
Doesn't matter..His car his terms..If the buyer wants it he will do what he has do period..I've done some crazy stuff to buy a car & make the deal happen..Why? BECAUSE I WANTED IT BAD..

My initial reaction is no way.

However, how much are you asking? how are you representing the car? Are you asking high dollar for an 'original' or a fair price for a higher milage car with some restorations.

If it is the first, and the guy is serious, he should come take a quick look, take some pics and then bring back some inspectors. If it is the second then it is kind of unreasonable, especially taking it to his interior guy. Almost sounds like he wants to do a quick flip on the car.
Doesn't matter..His car his terms..If the buyer wants it he will do what he has do period..I've done some crazy stuff to buy a car & make the deal happen..Why? BECAUSE I WANTED IT BAD..
+1 It's an old car and unless you garentee the car as flawless the guy should know it will need work...let him jump through the hoops and fast cause you will sell to first with a fist full of cash.

I am certainly not saying the car is perfect. In fact, my eBay ad discloses so many things I figured nobody would even consider the car. On the other hand, I am honest. Thanks for all the input. I actually have 2 potential buyers coming tomorrow morning. Cash is king! Wish me luck...

IS the car still on ebay? Tried to look at it.

Yep, still there until Sunday (or unless someone shows up with money). Look for a white and black '72 Mach in Lake Forest, California. Then hit "Buy it Now"...

The new hood threw me off! I was looking for it based on your avatar photo.

I would check with your insurance agent before letting anyone test drive the car and go with the agents recommendation. That way if something happens and you follow the agents advise you can always get the insured value out of the car, which your selling anyway. So you get the cash your looking for.

Chances are you'll never see it again, if you let him take it. The 2 or 3 days he would need would give him plenty of time to get it completely out of the country before you realized something was wrong.

red flags are going off......the right thing to do is find somewhere close for him to have it looked at or have him bring the guys with him to inspect the car.dont let now one take your car for a day or more inless they buy it , don't do it

Have some fun with it as to not kill the sale, as Roy said about the deposit, Tell him you would be happy to let him take it to his people for a small non refundable deposit of (the asking price ) then laugh. :)

Have you seen the Allstate commercials with the character "Mayhem"??

I wouldn't let anyone drive it away without a hefty deposit equal to the purchase price of the car, non-refundable of course, just as others have suggested. If you have accurately represented the car to the best of your knowledge (sounds like you have gone above and beyond disclosure) the buyer should know all you know about the car.

The other aspect is, it's a used, 43 year old car!

as mentioned dont let him take it without a deposit. Second dont kill the sale (if he is honestly interested).

I would like the others offer to meet him in his area and *with the deposit allow him to drive it around to his mechanic and interior shop with you in the car of course. If he's serious ...should work out just fine. For me, the deposit is more about his "funding availability too! Wouldnt be the first time someone jumped through all the hoops then said "well I want the car, I have to see if I can get a loan"

Wouldnt be the first time someone jumped through all the hoops then said "well I want the car, I have to see if I can get a loan"
Thats kinda like "I have to check with my wife" When you hear that it means see ya..I have never in all the years of selling cars have someone come back after they checked with the wife & buy a car I was selling.. Lets cut through the B.S. & get to the point..If your looking to buy a classic you should have your financing in place BEFORE you look..You should check with the wife uncle cousin etc.. BEFORE you look...If someones serious they usually bring CASH with them to make a deal on the spot..

Wouldnt be the first time someone jumped through all the hoops then said "well I want the car, I have to see if I can get a loan"
Thats kinda like "I have to check with my wife" When you hear that it means see ya..I have never in all the years of selling cars have someone come back after they checked with the wife & buy a car I was selling.. Lets cut through the B.S. & get to the point..If your looking to buy a classic you should have your financing in place BEFORE you look..You should check with the wife uncle cousin etc.. BEFORE you look...If someones serious they usually bring CASH with them to make a deal on the spot..
Sorry about that. I flew to Melbourne and looked at a car. Came home, "checked with the wife" and drove back to buy it. But then again, I am one in a Billion!!:):) (Plus I checked with the wife before I flew to look at it:))

Greg

Sort of off the subject, but:

A number of years ago my Dad had a 90 Chysler TC for sale. Guy and his buddy come over, check it out and he gives my Dad $200 deposit. Goes home to check with his wife. Wife says 'No way'. Guy calls my Dad up a few days later and says sorry, can't do it. Keep the deposit for your trouble.

The 'check with my wife' line brought that memory back

Lets cut through the B.S. & get to the point..If your looking to buy a classic you should have your financing in place BEFORE you look..You should check with the wife uncle cousin etc.. BEFORE you look...If someones serious they usually bring CASH with them to make a deal on the spot..
Bingo! Cash with them to make the deal if they are serious.

I would treat this the same way I would if I was selling a motorcycle. No test drive AT ALL. They would have to BUY the bike (or car in this case) and then test drive it. They then have 30 minutes to test drive the bike and IF they bring it back un-wrecked and un-damaged within that 30 minutes window and not want the bike, I would cancel the deal and give them their CASH back. After 30 minutes the bike is theirs. The 30 minute start and end time is put on the Bill of Sale and is signed by all including my neighbor who witnessed the deal.

You could do something like that but give the guy a couple of hours maybe for a nearby shop to check it out. But really the potential buyer should bring someone with him to inspect it and the potential buyer should have cash in his pocket. No cash, No test drive. I'd ask him this upfront - no BS that way.

I am certainly not saying the car is perfect. In fact, my eBay ad discloses so many things I figured nobody would even consider the car. On the other hand, I am honest. Thanks for all the input. I actually have 2 potential buyers coming tomorrow morning. Cash is king! Wish me luck...
So how did it go. Did anyone get a test drive?

Back