rear axle flange runout tolerance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that 0.005 is the maximum. I would check the axles for straightness, bent axles usually are the cause of too much runout at the flange. You'll need to set the axles on v-blocks to check them for wobble. Axles can be straightened with a press.

What do you have? 28 or 31 spline? What do you want? Factory or aftermarket? What is your intended usage?

Randy's Ring and Pinion supplied me with some very nice 31 spline axles a few years ago-price was good quality was great.

and I would like to ask-are you feeling any vibration? Though you may be out of spec-if there is no problem that you can detect without a measuring device, is there really a problem?

I would remeasure before replacing to be sure your initial measurements were correct.

What do you have? 28 or 31 spline? What do you want? Factory or aftermarket? What is your intended usage?

Randy's Ring and Pinion supplied me with some very nice 31 spline axles a few years ago-price was good quality was great.

and I would like to ask-are you feeling any vibration? Though you may be out of spec-if there is no problem that you can detect without a measuring device, is there really a problem?

I would remeasure before replacing to be sure your initial measurements were correct.
I bought the car and started tare down the first month I had it. I only drove it a few miles and it had an old suspension on it so the whole car sounded bad. I had a reputably drive shaft company look at it so I assume the did it correctly. I ended up buying a set of new Tom's axles. I'm having the third member rebuild by another company how said the old diff was shot. I figured with new everything it that much less to worry about.

Thanks for the input!

Back