Rear End

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
So my 1973 I just got has 351C and 4 Speed, marti report says code 2 for 2.75 rear end? The PO did not do restore. So it may or not be. If its a 2,75 what do I have a dog out the hole but 120MPH top end? I guess from searching FORUM you may be able to tell me RPM vs. MPH and I would be able to guessimate what I have? I've never pulled a rear end so I wouldnt know. Its still winter in NY so I have not put it on road for test yet. TIA.

Put car on jackstands, Place a chalk mark on the bottom of the driveshaft. Put car in neutral. Have someone turn a tire one full rotation while you count rotations of the driveshaft. 3 full rotations of the driveshaft to one rotation of the tire is a 3.0 gear.

Put car on jackstands, Place a chalk mark on the bottom of the driveshaft. Put car in neutral. Have someone turn a tire one full rotation while you count rotations of the driveshaft. 3 full rotations of the driveshaft to one rotation of the tire is a 3.0 gear.
Thanks, I love simple!!!

Mine currently has a 2.75 open. It is pretty doggy off the line. My 94 Dakota has more get up and go. But what is nice is the RPM when out on the highway. Smooth sailing. I am doing a T-5 swap currently to ditch the FMX that is leaking and starting to slip so I will see how that does before I make a final decision on what to put in the rear. You do have the 4 speed and I think 1st gear on those was pretty low so it might not be too bad in your case.

If it is an open diff don't ya want someone holding the other tire stationary? I always forget how this works.

If it is an open diff don't ya want someone holding the other tire stationary? I always forget how this works.
No. If you move the driveshaft to move the tire, then either axle may move. But moving one tire moves the driveshaft directly.

Back