Rear Power Window won't roll up!! Need Troubleshooting Help!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
All,

I have a 73 Grande Coupe with power windows. I rolled the passenger side rear window down and it won't roll back up. The switch on the drivers door doesn't move it either way. The switch on the actual window doesn't move it up but it does move the window when I push the switch down. Maybe a bad switch?? Looking on eBay I can pick one up for about $25.

I don't have a multimeter yet, but I can pick one up tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Switches are available for 73 Mustangs at any auto parts store for around 15 bucks.

If a front switch fails internally the rear windows will not work correctly even though the front one may still work. Having it go one way and not the other makes me think the front switch needs replaced.

I always replace all of the single switches first. Most of the time that will fix inoperative power windows.

If that does not fix it then you can pull the rear interior trim and run power directly to the 2 wires that power the pancakes - if it goes up and down then life is good.

If it does not work then pull the motor and follow the video to open it up.

Quite a few times I was able to simply clean the brushes and put an ever so slightly stronger spring behind them along with some fresh lube to bring them back to life.

Watch your fingers when getting the motors off of the regulators - I have had vise grips slip and let the regulator go flying.

When closing up the case be careful not to clamp it closed to tightly - tap the case tabs down slightly and check to make sure it still work and then clamp them just a little bit tighter.

Not a bad project - have fun!

- Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Paul,

I appreciate the good advice. I did find a site called the switch doctor. They sell the main switch on the drivers door for $20.50. I don't see a single switch on their site. I also don't see any of the single switches at our local parts stores. I did find another single switch on eBay for $16.

http://www.switchdoctor.net/ford-mustang-window-switch/ford-mustang-master-power-window-switch-1973/

Its not an OEM part, but they do guarantee their switches. So based on what you said it might be a better idea to replace the main switch first, given that it only costs $20.50??

I'm hoping its a switch issue, looking for an easy fix.

Thanks again.

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate the good advice. I did find a site called the switch doctor. They sell the main switch on the drivers door for $20.50. I don't see a single switch on their site. I also don't see any of the single switches at our local parts stores. I did find another single switch on eBay for $16.

http://www.switchdoctor.net/ford-mustang-window-switch/ford-mustang-master-power-window-switch-1973/

Its not an OEM part, but they do guarantee their switches. So based on what you said it might be a better idea to replace the main switch first, given that it only costs $20.50??

I'm hoping its a switch issue, looking for an easy fix.

Thanks again.
Cheap enough - just replace them all and see what happens.

What you describe I have always found to be a bad door switch.

Our local O'Reilly's has the single switches in stock for 16.99.

- Paul

All,

I finally got around to changing the switches. In my defense, I had surgery at the end of Dec and I'm finally back on my feet without a cast, crutches or boot.

I replaced the main switch and the single switch and got the same result. When I push the single switch down I hear the window trying to move down. When I push the single switch up I get nothing, no noise or anything. I get nothing up or down using the main switch.

I also bought a multimeter which was delivered today.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should check next?

I had basically the same problem on mine. They would go down no problem but went up very slow and then really not at all. I ended up taking the motors apart like the video says and it was really easy. Cleaned them up and put back together and they go up and down quick and easy.

I had basically the same problem on mine. They would go down no problem but went up very slow and then really not at all. I ended up taking the motors apart like the video says and it was really easy. Cleaned them up and put back together and they go up and down quick and easy.
Thanks Jeff... that is what I figured.

Well I finally found some time to get the power window motor out. It was pretty easy, EXCEPT for actually getting the motor out of the opening once I had all the bolts removed. I bench tested it after getting it out using a 9 volt battery. I got the motor to move a little bit each way. I watched the video on how to rebuild it, didn't look so hard so I decided to try and save the money and do the rebuilt myself. Got some pictures of the motor, it actually didn't look that bad inside.

I sprayed it all down with degreaser and did some cleaning. I also bought some grease yesterday. Now I have to find that 3M stuff to close and seal the motor back up with and I'll get it back together and reinstalled. More to follow...

uploadfromtaptalk1426422052659.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426422077895.jpg

Thanks Don,

Yes I did get the motor out, taken apart and now cleaned up pretty well. I hope it's just as easy to get it back together and get it installed/working. I'd hate to have to send it off to the west coast classic cougar guys and pay them $195 to fix it. I'll keep you posted...

Thanks Don,

Yes I did get the motor out, taken apart and now cleaned up pretty well. I hope it's just as easy to get it back together and get it installed/working. I'd hate to have to send it off to the west coast classic cougar guys and pay them $195 to fix it. I'll keep you posted...
The hardest part of the job for me was getting the motors back in the car. They are very tight and only go one way. Was cussing and yelling and wife came out to see what was going on. Once in they zoom up and down now.

Thanks Jeff,

After getting the motor and regulator out I was wondering if I'd ever get them back in that hole. I was thinking that maybe I could get them both in the hole and then put them together. Anyway, I'll see how things work getting them back in. I do appreciate the support. As always the members on this site are more helpful than anyone can expect.

Had some free time today so I got the motor put back together, plugged it in and the son of a gun only works one way... it has to be those contact brushes. I think that is what they called them in the video. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they'll sell me a good set. Hope so!!

Had some free time today so I got the motor put back together, plugged it in and the son of a gun only works one way... it has to be those contact brushes. I think that is what they called them in the video. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they'll sell me a good set. Hope so!!
Try taking some fine steel wool to them and then wipe them off with lacquer thinner and try again.

Thanks again Jeff. Both contacts looked to be in pretty good shape. One had a crack on the top so where it would make contact is not square like the other one is. When I crack it open I'll take some close up pictures. Both of the springs seem to be working okay also. It worked really good...but only one way. More to follow...

Jeff...I did give it another go and did as you suggested. Still the same result, the motor only worked one way. It would be easy enough to rebuild if I had some spare parts... I don't. Anyway... I paid for west coast classic cougar to do a rebuild and mailed them my motor this morning. Kinda of feeling like i gave up but without parts its a waste if time to do another rebuild. I've got a few more projects to do, new shocks and new steering components. Then she'll be up for sale...

Bummer that they only worked one way. I know that must have been a let down. Ok, that was bad. Rofl

I hate to hear that you are selling.

Back