rear quarter panel question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
1973 Grande
Anybody have any measurements on how high the reproduction quarter panels for a fastback go up the side of the car? I've got some damage pretty high up on the quarter and I'm wondering if the panel goes up high enough. Thanks!

Anybody have any measurements on how high the reproduction quarter panels for a fastback go up the side of the car? I've got some damage pretty high up on the quarter and I'm wondering if the panel goes up high enough. Thanks!
Well, I don't have any measurements, but these should give you a ballpark idea:

1544568_763832436961010_309279753_n.jpg

1517921_763832440294343_1600377496_n.jpg

These quarter skin replacement panels were purchased through Ohio Mustang, and actually this panel in particular was a re-do because I'd screwed up the first one. I mention that because both panels were the same size, so it's not like the second one was any bigger or smaller than the first one (they're pretty consistent, apparently).

Hope that helps.

About a week ago I actually saved those pictures off of your post to do some comparing. Looks like those quarters wrap around into the door jamb, is that true? Thanks for the reply, I've been following the progression on your car, it's looking pretty good.

Cool - glad I could help! ::thumb::

Yes, the panels wrap around the door jamb, approximately 1/2"-5/8"... as well as the end-cap area - about the same. The overall convex shape on these panels is a little more or less extreme than the original panels, so you'll need to do some adjustment trimming.

On mine, the end-cap area had too much convex for the end-caps themselves (from right above the bumper depression to the top), so I made some cuts in the 'wrap' area to relieve the convex slightly. For the door jamb area, I had to also make some cuts in the 'wrap' to increase the convex for the door edge to match up.

Making those relief cuts was huge in getting the right shape on both ends. I got lucky with the driver side, that it didn't need any adjustments that involved trimming. Although, the lower rear part had been spot-welded in the wrong place by the repop manufacturer, and wouldn't have fit - so I drilled out the spot welds, repositioned everything where it needed to go, and re-welded it where it needed to go. Hey - it's mine now, right? ;)

ya i had exact same problem on my 72 mach drivers side fit pretty good but passenger side whole dif story. it was like u said rad was off n mine was short at the top of qtr in door jamb area about half inch

Good point, Q! ::thumb::

It'll take more money and work to get the full quarters replaced and installed, but it will SO be worth it in the long run.

The only bummer with the full quarters is they finally came out as repop parts only after mine was back from the paint shop. :shy:

It'll take more money and work to get the full quarters replaced and installed, but it will SO be worth it in the long run.

The only bummer with the full quarters is they finally came out as repop parts only after mine was back from the paint shop. :shy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually it's the same or cheaper labor wise to install a full qtr vs a skin..lots less body work to do & no seam inside the trunk..

I was thinking along the lines of overall price per piece (full quarter vs. quarter skin), and more work to line up the entire panel. But I can see where some things would cancel some others out.

Less body work is always good. ;) ::thumb::

Actually it's the same or cheaper labor wise to install a full qtr vs a skin..lots less body work to do & no seam inside the trunk..
+1.

The full quarters are also much more faithful to the original panel than the skin.

-Kurt

my NPD panel is way off at the rear radious had to cut reliefs, still working on it,

i have a pic posted on one of my threads, dont see the add pic button here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back