Rear Seat Foam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KT-69

Reaction score
My Car
All 65 to 73
I see front seat foam but nothing after 1970 for the rear seats. Mine is a 73 convertible. Any suggestion or what has been used in the past?

I've saved seat foam from various cars over the years and that's what I use to restore older car seats with. Just a suggestion, but if you go to a salvage yard, locate a rear seat from a junker with decent foam.. you can get it cheap.. The best selection would be from a Ford LTD or Crown Vic. The foam is easy to cut and shape with an electric carving knife, or hot knife. Should you need to glue pieces together, use spray on contact cement (follow the directions on the can).

I just finished up mine....had a retired uporter helping me and he had me go to a fabric store and get a high density foam that I think was 1" thick. He cut the foam to lay on top of the seat springs,then he brought a roll of Dacron fabric and unrolls it over the foam and around the sharp edges of the springs. We also left the burlap material between the springs and foam. Turned out great.

ooo i wish that product was around 10 years ago...

I ended up machine washing my foam and then letting it dry for days even had it in the sun for a while to try and get the puffiness back, somebody had redone my seats in the past and they jammed a layer of 1/2" foam on top of the original foam which just squeezed everything together. getting the dirt out of the original foam and letting it settle allowed it to retain its original shape when i recovered the seats the foam was high enough so it looked great without additional support.

I had redone all the burlap with wire underneath and the muslin cloth on top of the foam by hand. i found the remains of the factory material and i cut patterns from them. all went together in about a day after cleaning the seat frames and replacing some of the springs with new metal from a sofa :D

I bought my new rear seat foam (along with some of my other upholstery) from National Parts Depot.

NPD P/N: SF-78RFA $148.58

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_seat_foam_rear_seat_fastback-168215-277.html

Hope this helps!
Interesting. I saw the foam when I did mine and noticed the year range started pre-71. I spoke with NPD and they really had no idea if it would work, but they gave me the contact for the company that made it (can't remember now). The company said that NPD was in error and it would not work on our cars. It scared me away from it.

Glad it worked for you

It worked very well, actually.

I can't believe I don't have pictures of all these things I keep talking about. I'll be sure to rectify that this coming weekend.

When we re-upholstered the rear seat I used the original padding and

was told to soak it with Febreze . So far so good. The passenger and

rear seat looked like they were never used so I kept the Lambeth cloth

and Corinthian vinyl covers. I don't think they are available for purchase.

mike

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will removing the old upholstery this weekend. If the foam looks decent I will wash febreze and reuse if it passes the smell test. If not I will try the NPD foam. Either way when done I want a good fresh scent inside. I have seen to many great looking cars that still wear old smelly interiors. That distinctive old scent must be gone.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will removing the old upholstery this weekend. If the foam looks decent I will wash febreze and reuse if it passes the smell test. If not I will try the NPD foam. Either way when done I want a good fresh scent inside. I have seen to many great looking cars that still wear old smelly interiors. That distinctive old scent must be gone.
The Febreze was a recommendation from a friend who does Concours

restoration work on old Mustangs. He also advised me to keep a

bottle of good whiskey handy because you are going to need it.

Those were his words.

mike

Back