Lab Seat Belt conversion for front seat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
The 3 point seat belts aren't my fav with the way it hits my body - Can someone point me in the right direction or thread that went with converting the front lap belts? My rear ones are in terrible shape so will replace both while I'm at it.

I also will be looking for a decent way to cover the roof bolt location. I could go with a short bolt painted black but perhaps there is a plastic insert someone has found?

Thanks!

The factory seat belts let you just not use the shoulder section. In one of my 73, the shoulder belts were just cut off with a little tab of them still hanging from the roof. In my other 73, a previous owner had unbolted the shoulder portion and replaced the headliner and never poked the holes for the shoulder belt in the new headliner.

What is it you're looking for in a conversion other than "dont use the shoulder section"?

And also, adding the obligatory nanny warning - countless people got their faces rearranged on the steering wheel and dash boards using only the lap belts. I ate the steering wheel pretty hard from just a 30mph wreck in my 72 car. Keep that in mind when making this decision. That was enough to convince me of the virtues of the shoulder belts.

I think I'm looking for a conversion. But basically it is just a replacement - since I can just reuse the same mounting points.

I don't think not using the shoulder section is an option form me considering it forms a 'V'. If I got in an accident with the present setup I don't think it would be a pretty sight considering it goes basically across my neck. Thanks for thinking of me though - I'll think twice before removing it. Maybe there is an adjustment I can make with it.

I think I'm looking for a conversion. But basically it is just a replacement - since I can just reuse the same mounting points.

I don't think not using the shoulder section is an option form me considering it forms a 'V'. If I got in an accident with the present setup I don't think it would be a pretty sight considering it goes basically across my neck. Thanks for thinking of me though - I'll think twice before removing it. Maybe there is an adjustment I can make with it.
What does your existing buckle setup look like? On my original ones, the shoulder part fits into a slot on the metal part of the lower belt. You can just unslot that and buckle the lap portion while the shoulder section stows out of the way.

As far as aftermarket solutions, some of us have a drop for the shoulder belt. It helps position that across your shoulder instead of your neck or face. I custom ordered mine to get the color i wanted to match my interior.

I'll have to look closer when I'm back with my car. I don't think I can unslot the ceiling section in mine since it is held on by a significant T50 bolt.

The belt when not used goes from floor to ceiling with the retractor on the floor, then the clip is pulled across my body to secure by my hip on the opposite side.

What is a seatbelt 'drop'?

Grant

The 3 point seat belts aren't my fav with the way it hits my body - Can someone point me in the right direction or thread that went with converting the front lap belts? My rear ones are in terrible shape so will replace both while I'm at it.

I also will be looking for a decent way to cover the roof bolt location. I could go with a short bolt painted black but perhaps there is a plastic insert someone has found?

Thanks!
I purchased mine from Snake Oyl. They are two short. Even told them I have a convertible.

Thanks!
What I found that worked not too bad were belt sleeves I bought from Seatbelt Planet. They sell accessories separately to belts. Search their website.
Here are a couple of pics of the sleeve (cut down in length) as it was on my center tunnel belt before I swapped it to a wired latch and after I added it to the 8" drop sash. Funny thing is I didn't take a pic from the inside, but the bolt secures it up nicely.
By the way USE THE ORIGINAL BOLTS to secure the new belts. Some hole size adjustment may be necessary in the brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_1747 (2).JPG
    IMG_1747 (2).JPG
    610.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231020_101842.jpg
    20231020_101842.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Last edited:
What I found that worked not too bad were belt sleeves I bought for Seatbelt Planet. They sell accessories separately to belts. Search their website.
Here are a couple of pics of the sleeve (cut down in length) as it was on my center tunnel belt before I swapped it to a wired latch and after I added it to the 8" drop sash. Funny thing is I didn't take a pic from the inside, but the bolt secures it up nicely.
By the way USE THE ORIGINAL BOLTS to secure the new belts. Some hole size adjustment may be necessary in the brackets.
Agree with Stanglover's view! I also have the drop sash and it makes it much more confortable.

Back