Germy's Marti report & the Ginger seats w/upbeat cloth mystery

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback 351C M-Code 4v
Here is my Marti report. Why do I have "1971 only" Ginger Seats with Upbeat cloth in a 1972 ? What are the odds that someone outfitted my car with upbeat cloth seats from a 1971 mustang ? If these really are my original seats, would that not be on the Marti ? There is a date stamp of September 1971 on the passenger seat foam.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 7.06.39 AM.png

429661381_400429192634959_6664608208317852042_n.jpg

Very likely they were swapped in, incredibly unlikely that they are original. Those seats are much cooler - both temperature wise and in appearance, than the basic all-vinyl factory bits. People have been swapping parts around on these cars since Day 1.

I agree that the seat fabric looks cooler both visually and comfort wise, it appears to be a little later to me. My older brother had a '77 Pinto cruising wagon when it was brand new and he had upholstery that looked somewhat like that. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of his actual car but I found some on the internet of what it looked like.

Original owner may have decided the ginger vinyl was too uncomfortable and had them recovered in the late 70's early 80's when those fabrics were being used more.

Attachments

• Pinto 001.jpg
    Pinto 001.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
  • pinto 004.jpg
    pinto 004.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I agree that the seat fabric looks cooler both visually and comfort wise, it appears to be a little later to me. My older brother had a '77 Pinto cruising wagon when it was brand new and he had upholstery that looked somewhat like that. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of his actual car but I found some on the internet of what it looked like.

Original owner may have decided the ginger vinyl was too uncomfortable and had them recovered in the late 70's early 80's when those fabrics were being used more
foam_sep1971.jpg

pass_upbeat.jpg

My car was built October 19,1971, and my passenger seat is stamped Sep 24,1971, and by the looks of it this seat looks factory made. Since the 1971 Mustangs were already on the road by Sep 24,1971 I'm still wondering if these are original Ford Seats in my car, and just not on the Marti.

My car was built October 19,1971, and my passenger seat is stamped Sep 24,1971, and by the looks of it this seat looks factory made. Since the 1971 Mustangs were already on the road by Sep 24,1971 I'm still wondering if these are original Ford Seats in my car, and just not on the Marti.

The issue with that theory is there was no cloth seat option for the '72 sportsroof. The Decor Group option of '71 was NLA, and the only upgrade was the Mach 1 Sports Interior. The Upbeat Cloth was still available on the Cougar, but the upholstery pattern was quite different. What's the silver tag below the stamp show?

If you really want to know, pull the seat covers back and look for date stamps like that on the cushion. The covers were available as a service item from any dealer. Could be any number of reasons these seats ended up in your car, and a mistake at the factory is at the very bottom of probability.

Only 72 that I know that came with cloth inserts was my Sprints . I’m sure there are others too but can’t find any others. The Sprints came with a woven blue lambeth center .

As @Hemikiller stated, the ’71 Decor group option, which included cloth seats, was no longer available in ’72.
The Marti report shows trim code “AF,” a medium ginger all-vinyl seat. No cloth seats were available in any group or standalone option.
The Grande series has Lambeth cloth-inserted seats and is the same type of cloth material used for the ’72 Sprints. The trim code for the Medium Ginger cloth seat in the Grande is “FF.”

There were occasional hick-ups on the assembly line back then, but not as rampant as everyone would have you believe. The chances of a completely wrong interior or a Boss 351 engine “Accidentally” finding its way into a vert are “ZERO!”

I agree with Hemikiller; the swapping of any and everything started on day one with these vehicles. I am a survivor of the sweltering Myrtle Beach days and owned an all-vinyl interior ’67 Mustang then. I know all too well the sound of a sizzling butt and legs when sitting down after a day of frolicking in the sun. I sure would have swapped mine if a cloth seat had been available from another Mustang or Cougar!
1713726252219.jpeg

1713726298784.jpeg

Latest posts

Back