Rear spoiler color previous owner painted body color thinking of changing to black should it be gloss or satin black or leave as is? Tia

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CORRECT color for the hood and black-out is PPG/Ditzler 9381 and apparently can't be matched anymore. That's why we have to use the best we can find. SEM Hot Rod Black is accepted by most as being pretty close although not the same texture.
I was not aware that PPG also made a paint called HotRod Black.
Hi all!

I don't normally butt in here, but the topic of blackout paint comes up often enough that I thought I'd add what I was able to find for my 1971 Torino Cobra restoration (after a great deal of searching). The 1970/71 Torino Cobras used the same blackout textured paint as the Mustangs of the era. Restoration Shop offers a reproduction of the PPG/Ditzler 9381 Black Low Gloss Texture paint. Looks like they call it AL9381. (Currently on Amazon for $131.99 at Restoration Shop Blackout Texture ). I had my paint guy use it and it's beautiful. As with the original paint, however, the new stuff can be very difficult to clean due to the texture, so attention should be paid here. (And it should definitely not be waxed...) Unlike the original, a review I read stated that the paint will come off if brought into contact with gasoline. I can't confirm this and my fuel inlet is behind the license plate, so I shouldn't have to test this, but I thought I'd mention it. As a 'maintenance-and-upkeep' precaution, Restoration Shop also offers a "Sunscreen Clear" ( Amazon Link ) to help protect the black, but I didn't use it, so I can't report on its appearance.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me comment (and I apologize for raising an older thread). Hope this helps a bit!
Regards all!
Brett

Attachments

• 20210128_02.jpg
    20210128_02.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi all!

I don't normally butt in here, but the topic of blackout paint comes up often enough that I thought I'd add what I was able to find for my 1971 Torino Cobra restoration (after a great deal of searching). The 1970/71 Torino Cobras used the same blackout textured paint as the Mustangs of the era. Restoration Shop offers a reproduction of the PPG/Ditzler 9381 Black Low Gloss Texture paint. Looks like they call it AL9381. (Currently on Amazon for $131.99 at Restoration Shop Blackout Texture ). I had my paint guy use it and it's beautiful. As with the original paint, however, the new stuff can be very difficult to clean due to the texture, so attention should be paid here. (And it should definitely not be waxed...) Unlike the original, a review I read stated that the paint will come off if brought into contact with gasoline. I can't confirm this and my fuel inlet is behind the license plate, so I shouldn't have to test this, but I thought I'd mention it. As a 'maintenance-and-upkeep' precaution, Restoration Shop also offers a "Sunscreen Clear" ( Amazon Link ) to help protect the black, but I didn't use it, so I can't report on its appearance.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me comment (and I apologize for raising an older thread). Hope this helps a bit!
Regards all!
Brett
Brett, no problem at all as far as I'm concerned. Any and all information regarding better paint alternatives is a positive step for all.
All previous info was that the original PPG/Ditzler paint could not be remade due to the different make up between old and new paint. That's not to say that since then, a close alternative has been developed. That's interesting stuff. But if this paint is not impervious to gasoline, that would be a red flag to most.
That hood of yours look pretty damn good by the way.
Thanks for your input.

Wing, spoiler... I get the difference, and appreciate you having taken a moment to advise that there is a difference. I use the two terms back and forth, as though they are synonyms - although I know there is a difference. And, because of that I am helping perpetuate a misuse of the term, spoiler. I could be doing worse in our slice of the world. heh heh...
Not to get too caught up in nomenclature, but technically you can change our wing's angle of attack to work as an spoiler (in paper but I question it will do anything in practice). The brackets, at least mine, allow you to change it up to about 45 degrees.

Last edited:
Not to get too caught up in nomenclature, but technically you can change our wing's angle of attack to work as an spoiler (in paper but I question it will do anything in practice). The brackets, are least mine, allow you to change it up to about 45 degrees.
As long as it is the correct way around! How many do we see with the thin edge incorrectly to the front. Could that actually "lift" the rear end?

Back