rear suspension upgrades

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
I'm getting ready to redo the rear suspension are there any simple and relatively inexpensive upgrades I can do while I'm in there? I want to get a little better handling but still keep it streetable.

I was thinking of these:

175lb/in 4.5 leaf springs (maybe 195lb/in 5 leaf springs)

polyurethane bushings

KYB Gas-a-Just shocks

Thanks for looking

I'd skip the poly bushings.If you do not want rubber try the global west pieces. The P.O. put poly spring bushings in my car ant it creaks and groans like crazy pulling in and out of driveways. I cannot keep enough lube in there to stop it. I do not have experience with the other parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd skip the poly bushings.If you do not want rubber try the global west pieces. The P.O. put poly spring bushings in my car ant it creaks and groans like crazy pulling in and out of driveways. I cannot keep enough lube in there to stop it. I do not have experience with the other parts.
That's what I had heard. I don't think I'll get them after looking at the price. $50 for the set of poly vs $15 for rubber.

Get some under the wheel traction bars. The shelby style not the cheap ones. This will help with traction (no more wheel hop) and it also helps with braking (no wheel hop)

That's a bit pricey for me at the moment. Off topic question: how can you tell what type of diff you have ie 9", 8".

Thanks

I'm getting ready to redo the rear suspension are there any simple and relatively inexpensive upgrades I can do while I'm in there? I want to get a little better handling but still keep it streetable.

I was thinking of these:

175lb/in 4.5 leaf springs (maybe 195lb/in 5 leaf springs)

polyurethane bushings

KYB Gas-a-Just shocks

Thanks for looking
Those springs are entirely too stiff. The factory Competition Suspension springs were in the 135 lb/in range. I would recommend the 71 429 leaf, which is universal spring #42547. You can get them from most any spring or Mustang shop. Mustangs Unlimited has them for $80/each. They are firm enough to control the axle, but not so stiff that they don't follow the road surface.

Poly bushings are fine in the shackle, but skip them in the eye. I used NPD's HD rear shackle kit on several of my cars and was very happy with them.

KYB Gas Adjusts in the front are a good idea. Some guys run the KYB GR-2's in the rear as they feel the G-a-J's are too stiff. I have Gas Adjusts on all four corners, but I'm also running 225/70R14 tires and I have original leafs. When I put in new rear springs later this year we'll see how stiff the GaJ's truly are.

Get some under the wheel traction bars. The shelby style not the cheap ones. This will help with traction (no more wheel hop) and it also helps with braking (no wheel hop)
I used this set up

http://www.calvertracing.com/caltracs.php
Hey Roy,Calvert posted a picture of my car on their web site! First Ford up! I couldn't beleive it. Sorry for stealling this post but,the Calverts are worth every penny!

PC250007.JPG

I used this set up

http://www.calvertracing.com/caltracs.php
Hey Roy,Calvert posted a picture of my car on their web site! First Ford up! I couldn't beleive it. Sorry for stealling this post but,the Calverts are worth every penny!
man that is cool:cool:

I've heard the CalTracs are harsh on the street. Is that true Eddie?
They can be. You have to back the adjustment off to keep them from rattling.Not a bad ride at all. You do pick up some road noise,due to the solid front spring bushing.

I am running the stock replacement springs for the heavy duty suspension, just like Hemikiller pointed out.I am also running the old Gabrial red ryder gas shocks.They seem to work very well.My plans are for a shock upgrade some time.

1973_Ford-18.JPG

Fays 2 Watts Link and some sort of subframe connectors.

Back