Rear Sway Bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1
I'm looking at adding a rear sway bar to my car and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on what the performance difference is (if any) in the shape of the bar. Are they shaped differently for clearance reasons for different models?
See attached pics.
Sway 1.jpg

Sway 2.JPG

I went with the Addco bars front and rear. 1 1/8" front, 7/8" rear.
Your Mach should have had the whopping 1/2" rear bar. so you'll need the Addco REVISED 990 bar.
My car goes around corners like it's on rails.
No idea what the ones in the pics are.

Your Mach should have had the whopping 1/2" rear bar. so you'll need the Addco REVISED 990 bar.
My car currently has the stock one on the front and it didn't come with a rear at all. Did you order direct from Addco? Looks like you're in Canada, what was the cost with shipping and duty?
The 2 in the pictures are from CJ Pony Parts and The Mustang Shop.

I second the ADDCO bars and, yes, order directly from ADDCO. I recommend the factory style rear bar but you'll need the mounting plates that sandwich between the axle housing and the shock mounts. Recommend new u-bolts, as well. Here's a link to the mounting plates from NPD: https://www.npdlink.com/product/rear-sway-bar-mounting-bracket/104909/200357
that plate is virtually identical to the plate mounted under my axle for the shocks to mount to. You're suggesting I need another one that the sway bar mounts to?

My car currently has the stock one on the front and it didn't come with a rear at all. Did you order direct from Addco? Looks like you're in Canada, what was the cost with shipping and duty?
The 2 in the pictures are from CJ Pony Parts and The Mustang Shop.
Curious, if you have a Mach 1, it ought to have had the comp suspension I think. Unless it's an H code then it might not have. I honestly can't remember if the H I had back in 1980, had staggered shocks or not.
Regardless, Addco sell a similar rear bar for cars that did not have a sway bar and it clamps to the leaf springs.
However, with the mount plates Sheriff shows, I think you'll be ok with the 990 bar.

that plate is virtually identical to the plate mounted under my axle for the shocks to mount to. You're suggesting I need another one that the sway bar mounts to?
If you had the rear factory sway bar, no, you'll have the mount plates already, pic #1

Attachments

• IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Curious, if you have a Mach 1, it ought to have had the comp suspension I think. Unless it's an H code then it might not have. I honestly can't remember if the H I had back in 1980, had staggered shocks or not.
Regardless, Addco sell a similar rear bar for cars that did not have a sway bar and it clamps to the leaf springs.
However, with the mount plates Sheriff shows, I think you'll be ok with the 990 bar.
My car is an H code, no competition suspension package. I'm curious how the factory bar mounts differently than aftermarket and if it makes a difference in handling performance.

This is a longer spacer I need to add to clear the larger bar.
My car is an H code, no competition suspension package. I'm curious how the factory bar mounts differently than aftermarket and if it makes a difference in handling performance.
Sorry Randy, I kinda screwed this reply up.
If not a comp suspension car, I think you'll be ok by adding the sway bar plates Sheriff shows. You can check with Addco.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.1.JPG
    IMG_1778.1.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 1
This is a good combo for a relatively stock suspension. When adding a 7/8” rear bar it’s a good idea to increase the size of the front bar. Going with just the rear bar you will have more oversteer than you would want, especially if you are on the throttle early on exit from a corner.

This is a good combo for a relatively stock suspension. When adding a 7/8” rear bar it’s a good idea to increase the size of the front bar. Going with just the rear bar you will have more oversteer than you would want, especially if you are on the throttle early on exit from a corner.
The 1 1/8" front bar is the matching one ADDCO sell for the 7/8" rear.
The factory front bar was 7/8" , but only a 1/2"rear. Most say a 1/4" difference in size is optimal.

The 1 1/8" front bar is the matching one ADDCO sell for the 7/8" rear.
The factory front bar was 7/8" , but only a 1/2"rear. Most say a 1/4" difference in size is optimal.
My original plan was to upgrade the front to a 1" and then put a 3/4" on the rear. You're suggesting a 1 1/8" and a 7/8". For general use, would you even be able to tell the difference?

My original plan was to upgrade the front to a 1" and then put a 3/4" on the rear. You're suggesting a 1 1/8" and a 7/8". For general use, would you even be able to tell the difference?
I think you'll be fine with the 1" and 3/4". On mine, I put in the heavier Boss rear springs, so the heavier sway bars made sense......... to me anyways!
Regardless it's an upgrade you'll notice on corners.

I just wanted to jump in and say that the combo that Stanglover mentioned is perfect! If you have the competition suspension with staggered shocks, this set up works very well. I did some work with Addco on the rear bar and I thought at first the 7/8 was overkill, but it works great. My car handles so good now. I can’t say anything about the ones you were going to use, I went from stock bars to the addco’s, but any thing bigger than the factory bars would help.

That extra 1/8” actually results in a bar almost 50% stiffer than a 1”. A little depends on the arm length, but for the most part 45ish%, or a little more, stiffer. That is certainly noticeable. Same is true front or rear.

Like the other four guys have said, I totally agree that the 1-1/8" front & 7/8" rear was the single most significant improvement I enjoy on my car, especially going around a corner or interstate clover ramp at 40+ mph. Like stanglover said, it's like on a rail. I don't have all the high performance power, or super duper springs either. Just the stock stuff, but this made a great improvement.

If you're still thinking of shopping sway bars, I encourage you to "call" the ADDCO guys and talk directly to them versus ordering off the internet. My experience trying to order on the internet ended up costing me extra dollars in the long run and lot more time. First off, I bought the "rear" bar being a 3/4" from one of our parts sources (Speedway). It was on sale, for a great price whatever it was at the time so I ordered. It was bigger than what I had the (1/2") stock one so after reading all the info on this forum and elsewhere, I ordered the 1" Front bar from ADDCO again on the internet. When I started to install everthing, I had questions so I call the ADDCO Tech Support line & this is when I discovered there was a lot more than I knew and I was heading down the wrong path. First off the Rear bar I got from Speedway wasn't the right bar even though it was listed as fitting my car.

Then I learned about the "tuning" of the front & rear sizes together so you don't have under or over steer. ADDCO has this nailed. So I reordered the two right bars. ADDCO was great at taking back my wrong front bar & switching it at no cost, even the shipping. The rear of course I had to eat.

There's two guys at ADDCO I worked with, John & Ernie and they are the best and know there stuff. Just sharing my experience, hoping to prevent someone else from repeating my misfortune. You can reach ADDCO at 828-733-1560.

Like the other four guys have said, I totally agree that the 1-1/8" front & 7/8" rear was the single most significant improvement I enjoy on my car, especially going around a corner or interstate clover ramp at 40+ mph. Like stanglover said, it's like on a rail. I don't have all the high performance power, or super duper springs either. Just the stock stuff, but this made a great improvement.

If you're still thinking of shopping sway bars, I encourage you to "call" the ADDCO guys and talk directly to them versus ordering off the internet. My experience trying to order on the internet ended up costing me extra dollars in the long run and lot more time. First off, I bought the "rear" bar being a 3/4" from one of our parts sources (Speedway). It was on sale, for a great price whatever it was at the time so I ordered. It was bigger than what I had the (1/2") stock one so after reading all the info on this forum and elsewhere, I ordered the 1" Front bar from ADDCO again on the internet. When I started to install everthing, I had questions so I call the ADDCO Tech Support line & this is when I discovered there was a lot more than I knew and I was heading down the wrong path. First off the Rear bar I got from Speedway wasn't the right bar even though it was listed as fitting my car.

Then I learned about the "tuning" of the front & rear sizes together so you don't have under or over steer. ADDCO has this nailed. So I reordered the two right bars. ADDCO was great at taking back my wrong front bar & switching it at no cost, even the shipping. The rear of course I had to eat.

There's two guys at ADDCO I worked with, John & Ernie and they are the best and know there stuff. Just sharing my experience, hoping to prevent someone else from repeating my misfortune. You can reach ADDCO at 828-733-1560.
That's some really good feedback and advice, thanks so much. I'll give ADDCO a call.

Another kudo for Addco. The original 990 7/8" rear bar I bought from NPD was incorrectly shaped as we all know now. After the revised 990 bar was made available ADDCO shipped me a revised bar under warranty and did not want the old incorrect bar back. Now THAT'S service!!

Has anyone noticed any exhaust interference issues with the Addco rear sway bar? My cars aftermarket exhaust was done without a sway bar in place, and I'm concerned that I may not have the correct clearance for the bar where the exhaust goes over the axle.

Back