Rebuilt Engine Fire Up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyo

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hi Guys,

Getting ready to fire up my newly built 351 C . Any tips or suggestions?? I had the stock distributor rebuilt with electronic ignition and need to install it as well. Any tips on that?

I have read up on some of this , but nothing beats experience.

Thank you in advance. Have a great weekend.

Hi Guys,

Getting ready to fire up my newly built 351 C . Any tips or suggestions?? I had the stock distributor rebuilt with electronic ignition and need to install it as well. Any tips on that?

Prelube the system with a drill prior to installing the distributor and use a high ZDP break in oil. Run the motor at 2000 RPM for 20 mins to break in the cam. Good luck and post a video of it running.

Hi Guys,

Prelube the system with a drill prior to installing the distributor and use a high ZDP break in oil. Run the motor at 2000 RPM for 20 mins to break in the cam. Good luck and post a video of it running.
Exactly like jbojo said. I changed the oil and put new Royal Purple oil in after the 20 minute break in, then ran it at various RPMs (nothing too extreme) for the next 500 miles, changed the oil again, and was good to go.

Yes, post a video of the first start-up.

Before start up I pour in fuel to fill the bowl of the carb through the vents.

I verify timing when installing the distributor by turning the engine over with #1 plug out and my thumb over the hole so I can feel compression coming up to verify I am not 180 degrees out.

Distributor should be able to be turned by hand, eased down snug but not tight.

Don't use starting fluid! It is awfully hard on an engine.

Don't keep cranking if it doesn't fire up-figure out the issue and correct it. If your battery is weak, get it fully charged first or replace it with a known and tested good one.

I do like to use a glass fuel filter for the first run as it allows me to see fuel going in-I won't use one on a driving car, but for first start up it gives you an ability to see fuel flow.

Use dielectric grease on all plugs and distributor terminals and carefully seat the wires so you have positive engagement on both ends of each wire, verify your timing order-I print it out with a picture of the distributor and a rotor showing direction and the engine's numbering style and lay that on the windshield. Even though I know it by heart, I always repeat that step -and make sure the rotor is back in place . . . (this is experience talking!)

Have a fire extinguisher handy, along with a timing light and an electric meter. Check coil wire and choke voltage before you ever turn the key.

and it is best to do it with two people rather than alone.

Good luck and definitely have the car where it can run for 20+ minutes without asphyxiating you.

Back