REMOVING YOUR OLD SUSPENSION-VID

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Qcode351mach,

Fabulous! Who has driven one of the 71 73 mustangs with this conversion? Does it make a real big difference in drive ability and handling?

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Qcode351mach,

One of my biggest question on this conversion is the strut rod mount. Since it eliminates the bushings, how much noise/vibration is transferred through out the front end? The mechanics of the pivot really unbind the suspension. We have seen some nice custom built strut rods that are similar in build.

Thank you for the pdf!

mustang7173

Thanks for the Video I enjoyed it, When the time comes Im going to drive up and see the guys at SOT as well. Great Job

Hey Qcode351mach,

One of my biggest question on this conversion is the strut rod mount. Since it eliminates the bushings, how much noise/vibration is transferred through out the front end? The mechanics of the pivot really unbind the suspension. We have seen some nice custom built strut rods that are similar in build.

Thank you for the pdf!

mustang7173
To be frank I think it's minimal..especially if the car has had a top quality sound deadening such as raamat applied to the interior compartment..In addition to that I intend to fill the front crossmember with an oem type vibration damping material..The use of a good quality modern tire also goes a long way in reducing road noise

http://www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=FUS+121

http://www.semproducts.com/product-catalog/repair-materials/dual-mix/sealers-and-foams/rigid-urethane-foam/

The mix of the 3 techniques above will assure a nice smooth vibration noise free drive..

Nice trick for first disassembling the spring compressor completely, then inserting the two sets of arms and installing the rod through them.

I've done the standard method of fishing the entire assembly from the top and have gotten stuck a few times.

Nice trick for first disassembling the spring compressor completely, then inserting the two sets of arms and installing the rod through them.

I've done the standard method of fishing the entire assembly from the top and have gotten stuck a few times.
Yes, works alot better that way much quicker too !

Pretty much finished up the right side very good day today got much accomplished

101_0550.JPG101_0551.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
absolute great video! will help me tremendously when I tackle this task soon!!

I'll be doing this just after Christmas, thanks for the great video!

The video ended up being a huge help! Thanks a bunch for that. The only think I would mention is that I learned the hard way to remove the strut arm bolt BEFORE removing the rest of the parts! I was able to get the strut arm bushings out by bending the lip inward on the front of the center bolt hole. Once that was bent in all the way around, i was able to tap it out and release the bushing. I have to do the other one tomorrow, so I'll try to take pictures or a video.

The video ended up being a huge help! Thanks a bunch for that. The only think I would mention is that I learned the hard way to remove the strut arm bolt BEFORE removing the rest of the parts! I was able to get the strut arm bushings out by bending the lip inward on the front of the center bolt hole. Once that was bent in all the way around, i was able to tap it out and release the bushing. I have to do the other one tomorrow, so I'll try to take pictures or a video.
Cool glad it helped you...Yes the strut rod nut at the front crossmember should be removed before you take out the lower control arm

Back