Repairing a stripped starter bolt?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detector

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
1995 GT Convertible
Well now I know why my starter went wacky so quick seems my top/upper starter bolt is stripped. My nephew put my last starter on but I remember I felt it had problems with the original starter grinding like it was loose. I tried a new starter bolt just a tad longer, but it did no good. Now how can it be repaired?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two easy solutions. The first solution require drilling the hole to the next largest size. Then create new threads with the next sized tap. Always keep the tap well oiled and clean. This process takes patience but the finished product is as strong as a factory created thread.

The second solution involves using an after market thread repair kit. An example would be a Heli-Coil kit. These kits include a tap, a threaded insert and a setting tool. Using these kits still involves drilling the hole with a larger sized drill bit, the kit will specify the correct sized bit. Run the included tap into the hole. Place an insert onto the setting tool and screw the insert into the hole. when complete the hole will accept the same sized bolt as the original.

If it's the hole threads that are stripped you have several options. You can drill and re-tap the hole to the next size larger and buy a new bolt, or you can install a heli-coil to keep the same size bolt you have know. If you opt for the heli-coil be sure to take a good bolt with you to the auto parts store to match the threads.

Well my quick fix was a longer bolt a washer and nut. Worked great and fired right up.

I think I'll go with a heli-coil long term fix.

Thanks

Back