Restore or buy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll agree with Mike. Get a car that you want, and involve your son when he's old enough. If he has enough interest, he'll grow into the hobby on his own. You cannot force it, they need to develop it in their own way. Expect plenty of detours, but if he's truly interested, he'll always come back. Involvement in parallel hobbies helps nurture the skills needed for this one; bikes, RC cars, small equipment, stuff like that.

For now, focus on getting enough sleep.

If this is your first classic, I'd suggest buying the best condition car that fits your budget. Dragging home a basket case project for your first go is usually a recipe for failure. I'll posit that most guys here started out with these cars as drivers, when they were simply a used car. That's how I got involved, and fixing that as my daily is what taught me so many things. Restoration came later. Spend your time researching what's out there, focus on what you're interested in. Attend some car shows and talk to other owners, they often know of good cars that aren't advertised.

Last edited:
Fourteen years 45k invested still not done. It take a of lot commitment to stick with it. Many time I asked my self Why didn't buy one done. Yes... I know every inch of it and I build it just the way I wanted it. There is something to say about that.

Attachments

• IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3241.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 0
Welcome from another Iowa member. As stated above a lot depends on what you perceive as "Restored". Where in Iowa are you located? I'm in Cedar Rapids.
I’m from up by Decorah, not near as many mustangs were sold up here and most are rusted away or fully restored for the most part. I just want something nice and rust free.

I’m from up by Decorah, not near as many mustangs were sold up here and most are rusted away or fully restored for the most part. I just want something nice and rust free.
I got lucky with my 73. It was a Cali car all its like until 2015. It was only in the Midwest for less than a year before I purchased it. If you see anything in the CR area I'd be happy to take a look at it for you before you make a trip.

Fourteen years 45k invested still not done. It take a of lot commitment to stick with it. Many time I asked my self Why didn't buy one done. Yes... I know every inch of it and I build it just the way I wanted it. There is something to say about that.

Interesting- even fourteen years ago this hobby was far less expensive than now. You probably had a decent purchase price for the car, with the bulk of the additional money being spent on sheet metal replacement and paint I'm guessing? I got into the hobby late 1970's when pretty much no one wanted these types of cars. Even a Chrysler hemi car was fairly affordable. First question people asked me back then was what does that thing get as far as gas mileage? I'd say I was more concerned with smiles per gallon. ha

That small investment of 20k today in a solid fund will probably net you 50k or more in 2040 when he is ready for a car. No storage, insurance, maint, etc (Probably another 10k added).
Aside from my retirement and pension I have no desire to play the market. I farm so I invest my money into assets. I’m planning on buying a restored 79 f250 as well, I had a 79 f150 I was going to restore but it was going to be 35-40k starting with a clean body and you can buy a fully restored one for 25-35k on bring a trailer or less if you wait. I might just have to do that with a mustang. I wanna get it now so I can enjoy it before he gets it.

The kid was just born. If the current trend of younger people putting off getting drivers licenses continues, a 67 year old car may be the last thing he wants when the time comes.

Not to be a wet blanket, but something to consider.

On the other hand, 16 years is a long time. You can learn stuff like paint and body work in that time.

I would recommend building or finding a car that YOU want and will drive and enjoy. If he grows up seeing you enjoying the car, there is a Much Greater Chance he will be interested. If all it is is something to wash and not touch until he turns 16, it may as well be a 24 place china set - nobody wants those either nowadays.
He will be driving long before that. In Iowa it’s 14 but he’ll be driving farm equipment long before that. My folks have a picture of me at age 5-6 on a tractor out working up ground on an Allis 210 which is a lot of tractor for a young boy let me tell you.

Back