Restoring Interior Rear Quarter Panel Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifizgud

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
Hi guys! Glad to find your forum! I have a 73 Convertable that I am restoring, and just got some after-market interior rear quarter panels that don't have the correct holes for securing them. The originals are turning to powder on the surface. Does anyone have any ideas or techniques on how I could perhaps re-finish or re-coat the originals so I can just use those? I don't think just re-painting them would do, and I'm afraid to try to sand them in case they just keep going until they are gone... I'm looking at a product called Rainbow Fiberglass Protective Coating, but not sure if that is viable of if there are any other ideas...

Taking a couple now, and will post shortly!

First pic is the new paint job, now on to the interior! The second pic shows the old white panel with lip and attachment hole, while the new panel is missing both. Last pic shows what the old panel looks like (kinda oxydized in the south Texas sun...)

100_0984.JPG

100_0986.JPG

100_0987.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my ginger panels were/are bad too. Still not sure what I'm going to do about it...I got some decent black ones I have to re-dye from Don65Stang, but the rear quarter interior panels are still crap.

Nice paint job too.

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas...There is a thread on this somewhere but not sure how to retrieve it but am sure someone will be along shortly and take care of it for me

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas...There is a thread on this somewhere but not sure how to retrieve it but am sure someone will be along shortly and take care of it for me
Scott (Qcode351mach) has a website with all his interior resto videos. Good stuff. www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

Hi guys! Glad to find your forum! I have a 73 Convertable that I am restoring, and just got some after-market interior rear quarter panels that don't have the correct holes for securing them. The originals are turning to powder on the surface. Does anyone have any ideas or techniques on how I could perhaps re-finish or re-coat the originals so I can just use those? I don't think just re-painting them would do, and I'm afraid to try to sand them in case they just keep going until they are gone... I'm looking at a product called Rainbow Fiberglass Protective Coating, but not sure if that is viable of if there are any other ideas...
Hi Lif,

Hope i can give you good advice on this one. Like you, i own a '73 vert, and was faced with the exact same problem with my original quarter trims(CREAM COLORED), powdering away with age.Even though i am a pro auto spraypainter, i would not really advise trying to refinish these old panels.

When they were new, the panels had a nice fake vinyl grain on them. You won't be able to reproduce that exact finish through spraypainting them. You can achieve a textured grain like finish which looks passable, but not original.Secondly, trying to paint over crumbling gelcoat is a big ask. Because the surface and below the surface is powdering, it's hard to get any paint to bind and stick on and last.If you insist on painting them, i would do a heavy sand back,and use 2 pak primer, or maybe even poly primers for a setup before using any color coats. In the US, there may be a special paint for this exact purpose, which i would not know about here in Australia where i live.

It would be cheaper and easier to refinish your new aftermarket trims with the color of your choice than trying to retore the old originals, but i decided to go with what i think is a better looking practical idea that's been done before by other Mustang owners in the past.

SO! Here's what i did. I took my original trims to a local top quality trimmer, and had him retrim them with a beautiful off white vinyl that matched the color of the door pads perfectly. They came up beautifully, and look a million dollars. He simply glued the new vinyl onto the old gelcoat after a heavy sand down and sealer applied.

I think the end result looks more classy that the original factory finish. So that would be the way i would go if i were you. The all up cost for the whole job was close to $350.00 Australian, and was very much well worth it. With all that labor and materials involved with repainting, retrimming is the best way to go in my opinion.

Hope that helped, Greg:)

I have saved a few flaking trim pieces like that with Polyprimer (high fill polyester primer) like Austin Vert suggested. It's very labor intensive , but will last forever.

I've been wondering how good the aftermarket interior quarter panels are. My originals have some holes in them at the top like they started powerdering away and just hate to pull the trigger and buy junk.

100_0990.JPG100_0989.JPG100_0988.JPGThanks for the ideas! Re-covering sounds like that may be the best plan so far, but I'll keep looking. The repos are flexible, but not as thick as the originals, and they lack the top lip and attachment point. Here's some more pics.

The repro panels do not have the correct front lip to mount the windlace on

Mounting holes do not line up - bottom needs to be trimmed to fit the floor

They are thin and I suspect if you put boot snaps in them they won't last long.

Fastback ones have similer problems

I think I may have a good black set of 72-3 panels for roll up windows left

The repro panels do not have the correct front lip to mount the windlace on

Mounting holes do not line up - bottom needs to be trimmed to fit the floor

They are thin and I suspect if you put boot snaps in them they won't last long.

Fastback ones have similer problems

I think I may have a good black set of 72-3 panels for roll up windows left
I have been following this thread because I need to do something with mine as well. Doesn't anyone make a decent reproduction set for a 1971 Convertible with roll up windows?

I have used the aftermarket panels on my vert. See my Garage and there are pics under modifications.

Yes, they are thin and nothing lines up quite right on them, but I got them to fit quite well after plenty of massage:) My plan is still to take my originals and get them coated with vinyl at some future date, but they do work for me now. Not sure about the windlace thing Don mentions but they aftermarket ones did fit fine on mine with some contact cement and staples. Just have to clean the vinyl really well before contact cement.

Regarding thinness, I re-enforced mine for the boot snaps with thin sheets of ABS and ABS glue. Cheap and effective.

Greg

Back