Reusing original a/c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey folks,

When I bought my 73 Grandé, I found a lot of components in the trunk. Amongst them were the ac radiator and ac pump (and ps cooler). The ac parts were ripped out to make room for an lpg setup :-(

I took the lpg crap out and it's 100% gasoline powered again and there's also room for the original ac and ps parts again.

Just out of curiousity: can the original ac and/or ps parts be reused and installed again?

Cheers,

Vincent.

sure they can be but there can be issues.

one thing is if the Ac was in working condition before it was ripped out.

if it died 25 years ago and they just finally took it off to swap in the lpg then you can bet it was in bad shape before it was removed.

the condition of the rubber hoses needs to be looked at is the rubber cracking and rotted

the seals need to be replaced.

the expansion valve should be replaced.

you will need to replace the dryer it must be replaced each time the compressor is serviced as it controls moisture inside the system and will get contaminated when opened unless dealt with immediately.

the condenser should be inspected and pressure tested.

the evaporated should be inspected and pressure tested.

the compressor could be a crap shoot. you don't know its condition, was it converted from R12 or not.

all the mineral oil needs to be cleaned out of the system and you need to decide if you are going 134 or going back to 12 they require different lubrication mineral oils.

basically you could put the system together and slap Freon in it. the service is going to cost you about 200-300$ then it either works, or it fails and your out that money.

usually if you throw it together without inspection or replacement parts it will last a day or 2 and crap out or lock up and seize the pump.

you could spend 1000$s of dollars restoring the system to new condition. or 1000$s trying to just get a worn out system running.

me i would try to keep the condenser and evaporator cores. replace all the hoses and dryer, replace the expansion valve and most likely just replace the compressor...

i made the mistake of reusing a compressor before and it cost me even more money later then it would of cost to just replace it as well and not try to save 500$

how good your stuff is means you will need to inspect everything carefully and pressure test stuff, for at home you need a AC service manifold and a vacuum pump.

I agree with 72HCODE, you can, but...

You'll likely convert to R134, unless you want to pay $$$$ for R12. I would convert to a Sanden compressor, more efficient and less power draw on the engine. R134 doesn't work as well as R12 and generally requires a larger condenser.

Bottom line, if your A.C./heater box is in good condition reuse it and replace everything else. I would also replace the heater core and evaporator, they don't cost much and will prevent problems down the road.

Any component you do reuse has to be thoroughly cleaned and flushed.

Hmm, OK. I was just wondering if it was a waste to put the old compressor and radiator with the trash but by the sound of it they are not really worth reusing...

Back