ring gap alignment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have a diagram but here's how I do it. When looking at the piston in the direction it goes in the bore place the top ring endgap at the 6 o'clock position (major thrust side) the second ring at 12:00 (minor thrust side) the top oil scraper at 3:00 and the bottom scraper @ 9:00 place the ends of the expander @ either 12 or 6:00. This is a good place to start as none of the gaps will be aligned. Since the rings are designed to rotate on the piston they won't stay there for long. Some builders just place the oil scraper gaps at opposite sides and don't worry about the rest. I think setting the gaps where you want them won't hurt.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a diagram but here's how I do it. When looking at the piston in the direction it goes in the bore place the top ring endgap at the 6 o'clock position (major thrust side) the second ring at 12:00 (minor thrust side) the top oil scraper at 3:00 and the bottom scraper @ 9:00 place the ends of the expander @ either 12 or 6:00. This is a good place to start as none of the gaps will be aligned. Since the rings are designed to rotate on the piston they won't stay there for long. Some builders just place the oil scraper gaps at opposite sides and don't worry about the rest. I think setting the gaps where you want them won't hurt.

I hope that answers your question.
Thanks Jeff

Back