RPM Rust Prevention Magic

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
Have any of you tried this? I saw this on a recent episode of Graveyard Cars. The reviews seem to indicate that it works well, but not for very long. It would sure be nice to have a DIY treatment for bare steel parts to resist corrosion with something that doesn't involve paint. If you've tried it, did it work well? Was it worth the $$? A 4oz can is $20 and this 8oz can is $35-$50, depending on the seller.

1713448191689.png

I'd bet it works better in the Arizona desert than other regions of the country. :D

LPS and CRC make some pretty good rust inhibitor sprays. WD40 is actually a good rust inhibitor for use on sheet metal and can be removed when ready for body and paint.

Last edited:
I cleaned my hood of everything to see where it needed work and to plan for cut and scoops. I used ospho.

It hasn’t flash rusted for over a year. It got sprinkled on twice.

I applied it thicker than I should have so it has texture, but it has protected the metal until I am ready to remove the hood for paint

Attachments

• IMG_5505.jpeg
    IMG_5505.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5504.jpeg
    IMG_5504.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5503.jpeg
    IMG_5503.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5493.jpeg
    IMG_5493.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the feedback. Still want to hear from anyone who has used the RPM. Will look into the T-9 products.

I have a jug of Ospho and another similar product called Rust Mort. I use them as paint prep on rusted metal. This reminds me that I need to wipe down the roof on one of my Rancheros! I haven't been able to get a consistent finish with Ospho, so I haven't tried it on parts that don't get painted. The streaks on the hood are typical of my results....not really what I want on a part that's supposed to be bare. This RPM stuff seems like it would be good for hood hinges, master cylinders, suspension parts that are typically left bare, etc.

Since posting this, I've done some more research and found a couple of guys who have done tests on multiple products....none included RPM, but interesting none the less. Beware...one of the guys was showing that plain WD-40 and product called Fluid Film were performing remarkably well. At the 1 year mark, he realized the sample metal was tin coated, where the rest were bare. I contacted him and he still believes the Fluid Film is a good product....just be aware, results on WD and FF are meaningless. I guess he's doing a second test that's in progress.

Thanks for the feedback. Still want to hear from anyone who has used the RPM. Will look into the T-9 products.

I have a jug of Ospho and another similar product called Rust Mort. I use them as paint prep on rusted metal. This reminds me that I need to wipe down the roof on one of my Rancheros! I haven't been able to get a consistent finish with Ospho, so I haven't tried it on parts that don't get painted. The streaks on the hood are typical of my results....not really what I want on a part that's supposed to be bare. This RPM stuff seems like it would be good for hood hinges, master cylinders, suspension parts that are typically left bare, etc.

Since posting this, I've done some more research and found a couple of guys who have done tests on multiple products....none included RPM, but interesting none the less. Beware...one of the guys was showing that plain WD-40 and product called Fluid Film were performing remarkably well. At the 1 year mark, he realized the sample metal was tin coated, where the rest were bare. I contacted him and he still believes the Fluid Film is a good product....just be aware, results on WD and FF are meaningless. I guess he's doing a second test that's in progress.
Maybe this?

https://www.vicegripgarage.com/products/matte-wipe-on-patina-preserver-1

Back