Scott Drake Parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 302 2v "Spring Special"
So maybe it's just me but has anyone that has ordered / used Scott Drake parts noticed how crappy they are?

I ordered a mirror install kit, replacement dome light mount and cover, door knob handles and shift console cover. All of them were uber expensive guaranteed OEM replacement. All of them were cheap crappy plastic and none of them fit correctly. :mad:

Very disappointing. Does anyone have any thoughts about these products and a source that might be better?

Thanks in advance.

--

Joe

Yes, Scott Drake parts are not the best. I bought a replacement dome light assembly, the bulb-mounting prongs broke off trying to install the bulb. Had to retrofit the OEM prongs into the new base.

New shifter handle release button was machined incorrectly, would stick when trying to use. Had to grind it a little bit.

New shifter cover had no pegs molded in to attach rubber shift curtain, had to improvise there too.

It is not just Scott Drake parts. Many repro parts from many manufacturers are sloppily designed and made.

Makes you have a new appreciation for OEM parts fit and finish.

Reminds me of the rear bumpers on our cars. I have never seen a repro rear bumper yet that has the correct proportions on the ends. I had my OEM unit straightened and rechromed.

Also, every set of repro "429 RAM AIR" decals I hhave seen has a crooked, slightly tilted "2".

Only bought one Scott Drake part - a convex RH mirror. Glues to the original pod. That worked. I consider myself lucky.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
So maybe it's just me but has anyone that has ordered / used Scott Drake parts noticed how crappy they are?

I ordered a mirror install kit, replacement dome light mount and cover, door knob handles and shift console cover. All of them were uber expensive guaranteed OEM replacement. All of them were cheap crappy plastic and none of them fit correctly. :mad:

Very disappointing. Does anyone have any thoughts about these products and a source that might be better?

Thanks in advance.

--

Joe
Joe,

I'm curious as to who guaranteed them OEM ?

Drake makes very little for the 71-3's

They tend to buy parts and put their sticker on it.

Some parts have multiple manufacturers, better quality.

Kit,

The shifter bezels have the seal and are ready to install.

Your car being an early 71, should have the dome light bulb

socket riveted to the roof brace.

Sounds like you bought a late 71 - 3 dome light bezel.

002.JPG

003.JPG

The Scott Drake parts I've bought so far, have been really good pieces. Mostly just emblems and light switches-type things though.

I bought some scott drake door post seals and installed them less than a year ago, they now look almost as bad as the old pair I took off. The rubber is alot thinner{almost paper thin} in some places and definately now what we expected. Other parts from them have been just fine.

Don,

The shift bezel did NOT come with the rubber seal. Pissed me off, I had to buy seperately. Then, the rubber seal did not come with the speed-nut washers...pissed me off again.

The pegs for the rubber curtain are so short on the bezel, I had to improvise an attachement.

The dome light for the mach was fine, but the dome light for the 73 Grande had the bulb-oegs that broke right away. They were stamped out if some kind if not-very-flexible metal. Snapped right off trying to install bulb.

Don,

The shift bezel did NOT come with the rubber seal. Pissed me off, I had to buy seperately. Then, the rubber seal did not come with the speed-nut washers...pissed me off again.

The pegs for the rubber curtain are so short on the bezel, I had to improvise an attachement.

The dome light for the mach was fine, but the dome light for the 73 Grande had the bulb-oegs that broke right away. They were stamped out if some kind if not-very-flexible metal. Snapped right off trying to install bulb.
Kit,

Was there a brand name on the shifer bezel box, I'll stay away from that brand

Ones I have are complete and sell for 40.00

My dome light bezels for the 71-3 come with the bulb installed, made by Daniel Carpenter

Drake does make good emblems though

I can't honestly remember the shifter bezel packaging...maybe it wasn't a Drake part.

The rubber shift curtain was definitely a Drake part, came in the red and white blister pack.

The shift handle was also a Drake part. Needed a little grinding to work.

The shift rod was in an unlabled white box, works fine looks good.

I think the 73 dome light came in a plain white box, lens came in clear bag.

So, in hindsight...only the shifter handle was a little less-than-perfect and was definitely a Drake product.

But, all the stuff is OK in the long run so far.

Not to hijack the thread or anything but do they make rear bumper brackets? or anyone? obviously my car got into a tiny bender and my bumper is bent down a little bit. The bracket the bolt screw into is what i think may be bent but are to rusty i just want to replace,

I can't honestly remember the shifter bezel packaging...maybe it wasn't a Drake part.

The rubber shift curtain was definitely a Drake part, came in the red and white blister pack.

The shift handle was also a Drake part. Needed a little grinding to work.

The shift rod was in an unlabled white box, works fine looks good.

I think the 73 dome light came in a plain white box, lens came in clear bag.

So, in hindsight...only the shifter handle was a little less-than-perfect and was definitely a Drake product.

But, all the stuff is OK in the long run so far.
I think you were sold a broken / returned bezel ?

I haven't seen one without the seal and / or the mounting posts

Not to hijack the thread or anything but do they make rear bumper brackets? or anyone? obviously my car got into a tiny bender and my bumper is bent down a little bit. The bracket the bolt screw into is what i think may be bent but are to rusty i just want to replace,
Not for 73

I dug the box for the 73 dome light out of the garbage: it is labled as from: "Midland Automotive Supply".

Chinese, of course.

Last edited:
Joe,

Kit,

My 71 was manufactured in March 71 and the dome light socket is riveted to the roof brace. What they sent me was a dome light base with an S shaped LED configuration. I had to dremmel the base out in order to make it fit also the holes didn't line up.

The catalog I ordered it from said "guaranteed OEM replacement manufactured by Scott Drake" (which is BS). I was alive back in the 70s and don't remember Ford using LEDs in anything. There were no other options listed. The catalog said "fits 71 - 73" with no mention of late or early.

Additionally, the shifter screw holes don't line up correctly and is flimsy compared to the original. I am trying to decide to mod it or send it back.

Based on everything I have read about Scott Drake products I think I will avoid using them and attempt to refurb the original parts whenever I can. Unless I can find a reputable remanufacturer.

--

Joe

Every part I buy, no matter who its made by, I never expect " OEM guaranteed" I'm always expecting to modify something to make it fit.

and now when I open the box and it fits right out of the box, then I consider my self lucky for that moment :)

i ordered a lot of on line parts from a well known company . sent a lot of parts back .costumer service leaves a lot to be desired .parts are very sad to say the least. i finely got fed up with it all ,spent a lot of money.called to complain and got one of the higher ups,told him how i felt.so the end result was, most all the parts come from the same vendors and yes the quality is not the best he said but if the parts where higher quality the price would be a lot higher.so lower quality = lower price. and for the most part that is what is out there .it doesn't matter if its american or foreign the quality is just not there.so i was just told to like it and lump it.but in a nice way as not to piss me off to bad .that was the carpet,upholstery,door panels,flimsy door sills,dash pad,most everything i got was weak,there is nothing better than nos parts but there is not a lot out there so as long as we buy with our hard earned money it wont change sorry just how i feel

Joe,

Kit,

My 71 was manufactured in March 71 and the dome light socket is riveted to the roof brace. What they sent me was a dome light base with an S shaped LED configuration. I had to dremmel the base out in order to make it fit also the holes didn't line up.

The catalog I ordered it from said "guaranteed OEM replacement manufactured by Scott Drake" (which is BS). I was alive back in the 70s and don't remember Ford using LEDs in anything. There were no other options listed. The catalog said "fits 71 - 73" with no mention of late or early.

Additionally, the shifter screw holes don't line up correctly and is flimsy compared to the original. I am trying to decide to mod it or send it back.

Based on everything I have read about Scott Drake products I think I will avoid using them and attempt to refurb the original parts whenever I can. Unless I can find a reputable remanufacturer.

--

Joe
Joe, you were sold the wrong dome light.

There is a early 71 version and a late 71 - 73 version

Scott drake does not make either.

The early version is made by Daniel carpenter - The late version is made by two different companies. Midland automotive and Daniel Carpenter. Some times it's not the parts - it is who is selling you the parts. So who says " guaranteed OEM replacement "

Scott Drake makes very little for the 71-3's

Don

Well, as one of my friends (who happened to be a "parts guy" at various auto parts stores in town) always said when it comes to new parts, "'New' doesn't always mean 'Good," and "What's 'On' the box, isn't always what's 'In' the box." ;)

It sounds like you [Joe] got the wrong parts for your year model from someone who didn't know their stuff inside-out.

I know I've been very fortunate that the things I've ordered have been exactly what I've needed... even early on when I didn't know squat about my car, I had bounced my thoughts off the guys here before clicking the 'Purchase' button at the various vendor sites - they saved me a ton of time and money by not getting things I didn't need, couldn't use, or from someone who couldn't deliver. A few times, I've been disappointed by the back-order monster, but not often (if at all) through my two favorites. Thanks to that process of weeding out the others from the consistently reliable vendors, I'm very confident that when I order a parts (or parts) from them, I will get the right parts the first time within a few days... if not a few hours, in some cases. ;)

OMS and NPD are my favorites... with CJPP coming in right after that - I don't have much experience with some of the others (Mustangs Plus, California Mustang, DM, LMM, et al). Just my experiences so far - and I would not have had such success without having found this site the very day I started in on my '71.

Might be time to change your preferred vendor(s).

Joe, you were sold the wrong dome light.

There is a early 71 version and a late 71 - 73 version

Scott drake does not make either.

The early version is made by Daniel carpenter - The late version is made by two different companies. Midland automotive and Daniel Carpenter. Some times it's not the parts - it is who is selling you the parts. So who says " guaranteed OEM replacement "

Scott Drake makes very little for the 71-3's

Don

The part packaging had Scott Drake's name and mug on it and the catalog description said guaranteed OEM replacement on it. So maybe it was mislabeled or repackaged. I don't know.

I realize that you are a vendor and probably sell SD parts. The fact that they are sub standard is not your fault.

I don't mean to step on any toes but I will not buy SD parts when there is an alternative. Every single one has been defective is some way. I will also be wary of anything I order from any catalog in the future.

--

Joe

I found an exact match at CJ Pony Parts. They also have several other parts that I need. Any thoughts on this supplier? Eric, I think you mentioned them.

Thanks.

--

Joe

Back