Scott Drake Parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, you were sold the wrong dome light.

There is a early 71 version and a late 71 - 73 version

Scott drake does not make either.

The early version is made by Daniel carpenter - The late version is made by two different companies. Midland automotive and Daniel Carpenter. Some times it's not the parts - it is who is selling you the parts. So who says " guaranteed OEM replacement "

Scott Drake makes very little for the 71-3's

Don

The part packaging had Scott Drake's name and mug on it and the catalog description said guaranteed OEM replacement on it. So maybe it was mislabeled or repackaged. I don't know.

I realize that you are a vendor and probably sell SD parts. The fact that they are sub standard is not your fault.

I don't mean to step on any toes but I will not buy SD parts when there is an alternative. Every single one has been defective is some way. I will also be wary of anything I order from any catalog in the future.

--

Joe
I've seen some really nice Scott Drake parts and some really cheap looking ones. I suspect that Scott Drake early on produced their own products and established a good reputation and as they grew they expanded and started putting their Scott Drake "stamps" on products made by others so that they would sell. Apparently they're using their "Brand Recognition" for a percentage of sales on items made by others. When that happens "life is like a box of chocolates".

Jim

I found an exact match at CJ Pony Parts. They also have several other parts that I need. Any thoughts on this supplier? Eric, I think you mentioned them.

Thanks.

--

Joe
Actually, I think Don (OMS) mentioned that it's probably a Daniel Carpenter product (and that SD didn't make the correct part specific to your model year based on production date - they changed the bezel configuration prior to your car being built).

There's nothing wrong with not being a fan of one product manufacturer over another based on experience with products. That's why there are lots of different manufacturers, after all. ;)

Something to consider, and this is just my opinion purely based on my experiences in the past 4 years of having my '71 project and being part of this site - so take it at face value: Check OMS's site before you buy anything. If OMS doesn't have it and you have questions, post up here at the site - someone will jump in and give you solid information. There are guys here (Don's one of them) who have forgotten more about '71-'73 Mustangs than Ford ever knew.

It sounds like you're getting your car squared away though, and I don't think I even knew there was a difference in the light bezel configurations until you mentioned it - so, this has been a valuable exchange of information. That's how we roll around here. ::thumb::

I had ordered a Mustang logo tote bag to put cleaning things in at car shows. Got it in the mail yesterday. It is a Scott Drake brand bag and is the cheapest piece of crap you can imagine.

I know what things cost in China and would bet this bag would cost less than a dollar to bring over to the USA. Very disappointing indeed. I would not mind paying a premium price for any reproduction part as long as the quality is there. If it is not I feel cheated.

Well I know that 2 different sets of window cranks for the 67 were CRAP. Other parts...crap, the dealers defend them, because that's their source. So I or we get to eat the loss and they keep the profit. I try to avoid Scott Drake when ever possible. I'm going to source non pitted cranks and pay for the rechrome.

That is exactly what I plan on doing in the future. If I can't find a used parts source (or reputable remanufacturer) I am going to refurb the original part.

--

Joe

Back