Seats position

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering, replacing the foam on my seat bottom with some denser foam so that I can make it about 2" shorter. This will give me more headroom (the main reason I'm doing this), plus get my legs farther away from the wheel. Plus my arms will be closer the wheel and shifter.

What I did before was remove the plastic spacers between the seat upper and lower. This allows the seat to lay back a little more.

I am considering, replacing the foam on my seat bottom with some denser foam so that I can make it about 2" shorter. This will give me more headroom (the main reason I'm doing this), plus get my legs farther away from the wheel. Plus my arms will be closer the wheel and shifter.

What I did before was remove the plastic spacers between the seat upper and lower. This allows the seat to lay back a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was replacing the floors' date=' I had to also replace the seat platforms. Since I couldn't locate a pair of fastback seat platforms, I would up cutting down (height-wise) a pair of coupe/'vert platforms, and moved them back about 2 inches before welding them in.[/quote']
Is that to say that a stock convertible seat platform sits higher than that of a stock fastback, and that one's driving position in each car is different?

That would explain why I sat close to 2" higher in a local '73 'vert w/Deluxe interior than my '71 Mach (standard), despite both seat bottoms appearing unchanged. Granted, I feel a bit TOO low in my '71 (and I'm not the smallest fellow in the world at 5' 10") - but that might have to do with the driver's side seat back.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was replacing the floors' date=' I had to also replace the seat platforms. Since I couldn't locate a pair of fastback seat platforms, I would up cutting down (height-wise) a pair of coupe/'vert platforms, and moved them back about 2 inches before welding them in.[/quote']
Is that to say that a stock convertible seat platform sits higher than that of a stock fastback, and that one's driving position in each car is different?

That would explain why I sat close to 2" higher in a local '73 'vert w/Deluxe interior than my '71 Mach (standard), despite both seat bottoms appearing unchanged. Granted, I feel a bit TOO low in my '71 (and I'm not the smallest fellow in the world at 5' 10") - but that might have to do with the driver's side seat back.

-Kurt
I think the vert and coupe seat boxes are about an inch or more taller.

I did the same on the seat back spacers, only removed 1 of them though.

To move the seats back I added a piece of 1/4" X 1" steel between the seat and the track and moved the seat back about 3" on the steel and bolted it back together.

Back