Seeking Precision Chrome Plater- Distributor Shaft

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
I have 4 used distributor shafts I would like to get chrome plated. The reason for the chrome plating is to correct/repair the wear the shafts have seen in their lifetime.

Does anyone know of a shop where I can send them to have them done?

Alternatively, if there is a source where I can buy new shafts, that would work also.

Thanks.

James, That is not a good idea. Think about the impact and shear loading not to mention flaking contamination. Sources: Mellings, Federal-Mogul, Ford Racing, ARP, Precision Oil Pumps. Some new pumps come with a new drive rod. Chuck

James, That is not a good idea. Think about the impact and shear loading not to mention flaking contamination. Sources: Mellings, Federal-Mogul, Ford Racing, ARP, Precision Oil Pumps. Some new pumps come with a new drive rod. Chuck
+1, you don't want chrome flaking up and clogging up your engine.

Well....there used to be several in downtown L.A that the lowrider guys used to go to, but they were pushed out of the state. If you find one in our neck of the woods it's probably some tree humper water based pseudochrome:dodgy:

Personally I wouldn't chrome any part of the car that holds oil or is related to electronics because chrome leaks and retains heat.

But if you enjoy that kind of misery these are reputable:

V&C metal polishing 8239 Lankershim in NoHo (818)767-5170 he does the polishing and has a buddy that does the chroming

or

Astro Chrome and Polishing 15236 Erwin Street Van Nuys

(818) 781-1463

I think you are confusing Distributor Shaft with Oil Pump shaft.

I am not that crazy...well, okay I am but not in this instance.

To be clear, I am referring to distributor shaft. And I think it is standard practice of GOOD distributor rebuilders to get the shaft back to spec.

Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't chrome any part of the car that holds oil or is related to electronics because chrome leaks and retains heat.
How else do you "rebuild" the worn part of the distributor shaft?

Last edited by a moderator:
You replace the bushing inside the housing with an oversized one and lathe turn the shaft to match
I was wondering if I should sell my lathe or keep it...I guess I'll keep it to turn the shafts, then sell it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful how you turn your shaft my friend... it can be dangerous.

Back