Sharing 73 Mach 1 Air Breather & Valve Cover Change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello all,

Wanted to share the change I made to go back to factory air breather with the right valve cover. I painted them Blue color too. Also changed the spark plugs wires, spark plugs, dizzy cap. Running better but still didn't time it yet.

Had to use 1 inch spacer on the carb to allow the air breather to fit the dizzy.

Still did not hook up all vacuum lines but wanted to share the process so far.

Pictures are before and after

View attachment 25384

View attachment 25385

View attachment 25386

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

I know I was so mad about it but am glad my hood doesnt have Ram Air and i had some space without it hitting.

I like the OEM air cleaner look a lot better. Why not put a stock distributor in with a Pertronix inside and then no issue and looks the way it came? Car is looking nice.

Very "traditional" clean and functional look. I do however agree with jeff8877 that MSD is very distracting visually. They are just so big.

If you simply install a gray distributor cap, it would make the focus on the rest of the engine and not the distributor. But otherwise, a great improvement vs the chrome bits.

Hello all,

Wanted to share the change I made to go back to factory air breather with the right valve cover. I painted them Blue color too. Also changed the spark plugs wires, spark plugs, dizzy cap. Running better but still didn't time it yet.

Had to use 1 inch spacer on the carb to allow the air breather to fit the dizzy.

Still did not hook up all vacuum lines but wanted to share the process so far.

Pictures are before and after
Very nice. I keep going back and forth on the 427 W install I have planned on my Mach 1 and how much I want (and can) keep it looking stock ram-air Q code or not. The latter of yours looks much better.

Looks good man! I always like the stock look. Bit of a sleeper. I had my old motor almost stock looking and pushing over 400hp. Stock air filter and valve covers. I even took a 1 inch hole saw and cut holes around the back side of the air filter where no one could see so it would breathe better. I ended up giving that air filter away to someone on here. It was pretty cool. My old motor was set up very similar to yours. MSD does make a smaller diameter dizzy. But you still need a 1 inch spacer to clear the height. Either plastic ring on top of carb or spacer under carb. Heres a pic of mine before my new motor. Very similar to yours LOL! Your car is looking great keep up the good work!

sg0nkx.jpg

Looking really good, we also are going with the MSD and likewise wish is was shorter. We are using it so we can lockout the timing advance which will be controlled by the EFI system. We are using the ram air so we body worked the air cleaner to get around the MSD. Didn't come out perfect but it clears the cab and should look stock to most eyes when installed

2cprm2g.jpg

Looking really good, we also are going with the MSD and likewise wish is was shorter. We are using it so we can lockout the timing advance which will be controlled by the EFI system. We are using the ram air so we body worked the air cleaner to get around the MSD. Didn't come out perfect but it clears the cab and should look stock to most eyes when installed

2cprm2g.jpg
Nice, that's what I am doing now too and in the process of cutting the air cleaner now. Are you using the MSD EFI system and the 8580 dizzy? If so you'll also modify the phasing rotor (#8421) too to get the full 15* needed. I am very happy with that system so far. What intake are you using?

We used the 8577 and we have the Powerjection III from Professional Products. Edelbrock intake was on the car from PO, we painted to look like the factory

1671082.jpg

We used the 8577 and we have the Powerjection III from Professional Products. Edelbrock intake was on the car from PO, we painted to look like the factory

1671082.jpg
Looking good. You did a nice job on that base. I have to make my mod a little bigger because of the manifold I am using but hopefully it comes out as good as yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back