Sheet metal for '72

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe, 351, Canadian decor group
So I've got some questions that I'm hoping someone here can help clarify.

#1:What is the difference between a quarter panel skin and a full quarter panel, and why isn't a 'full' panel available for a coupe and yet IS available for a fastback? I've got to replace my quarter panels, trunk drop offs and probably most of my wheel wells but I'm stuck figuring out what part I need to be looking at. It doesn't seem I can simply buy front and rear quarter panel patches for the 72.

#2:Are there patches available for the lower fenders (just in front of the doors)? All I seem to find are full fender replacements and if I can I'd rather stay with the originals complete with factory stamping.

#3: Rocker panels. I don't know yet exactly how much of my rockers are rotted, whether just the small-ish hole in the outer rocker panel or if it goes thru to the inner, but I can only find replacements online up to '70. Will those fit the 72?

At some point I'm going to ask about fixing the rot in the bracing under the hood but that's for another day.

Thanx!!

#1 A full quarter includes door jamb, trunk lip area, and tail panel. the skin does not.

#2 ask don at OMS

#3 I have only seen inner rockers cause they are usually the first to go but they are expanding all the time so someone may know if their available

I did my answers in CAPS after each of your questions

Don

#1:What is the difference between a quarter panel skin and a full quarter panel, and why isn't a 'full' panel available for a coupe and yet IS available for a fastback? I've got to replace my quarter panels, trunk drop offs and probably most of my wheel wells but I'm stuck figuring out what part I need to be looking at. It doesn't seem I can simply buy front and rear quarter panel patches for the 72.

ANS- REPRO 1/4 SKIN 100.00 - NOS FULL 1/4 PANEL 1200.00 just kidding

BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS THE FULL 1/4 GOES UP TO THE FACTORY ROOF LINE AREA SKIN ENDS ON THE SIDE OF THE 1/4 NEAR UPPER BODY LINE

YOU CAN BUY A FRT AND REAR PATCH BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH A SEAM IN THE WHEEL WELL AREA

#2:Are there patches available for the lower fenders (just in front of the doors)? All I seem to find are full fender replacements and if I can I'd rather stay with the originals complete with factory stamping.

NO PATCHES FOR 71-3

#3: Rocker panels. I don't know yet exactly how much of my rockers are rotted, whether just the small-ish hole in the outer rocker panel or if it goes thru to the inner, but I can only find replacements online up to '70. Will those fit the 72?

70'S WILL NOT FIT

I HAVE SOME GOOD OUTER ONES CUT OFF OF PARTS CARS

ALSO HAVE NEW INNERS

At some point I'm going to ask about fixing the rot in the bracing under the hood but that's for another day.

GET ANOTHER HOOD

CLEAN USED ORIGINAL FLAT HOODS ARE CHEAP

I PROBABLY HAVE A STACK OF THEM

Thanx!!

I did my answers in CAPS after each of your questions

Don

ANS- REPRO 1/4 SKIN 100.00 - NOS FULL 1/4 PANEL 1200.00 just kidding

BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS THE FULL 1/4 GOES UP TO THE FACTORY ROOF LINE AREA SKIN ENDS ON THE SIDE OF THE 1/4 NEAR UPPER BODY LINE

YOU CAN BUY A FRT AND REAR PATCH BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH A SEAM IN THE WHEEL WELL AREA

NO PATCHES FOR 71-3

70'S WILL NOT FIT

I HAVE SOME GOOD OUTER ONES CUT OFF OF PARTS CARS

ALSO HAVE NEW INNERS

GET ANOTHER HOOD

CLEAN USED ORIGINAL FLAT HOODS ARE CHEAP

I PROBABLY HAVE A STACK OF THEM

Thanx!!
Thanks for that. It sounds like some parts will be available but I'll be trying to fabricate others...could be interesting. Wish there wasn't so much distance between us, not to mention a border. Shipping costs would kill me, especially for something like a hood ;) Time to start shopping around for used stuff I guess. There's GOT to be a wrecker somewhere around me that still deals in the old cars.

Back