Should I Paint the Rockers or Not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, I've been debating the same issue for my car for ages.

Blacked out rockers look cool but every striped Mach1 has them. Yours looks different and I like that.

Blacked out rockers mare the car look sleeker and longer but they may make it look higher. I know it did on mine when I photoshopped the rockers black, which is why so far I have not done it.

It's gonna look good either way and I guess it boils down to personal preference.

You might consider using fine line tape and plastic dip. If you don't like it you can peel it off. Just a thought. Chuck

You might consider using fine line tape and plastic dip. If you don't like it you can peel it off. Just a thought. Chuck
Yes - that's what I was thinking as well. Helluva lot cheaper than a wrap. ::thumb::

Blacked out rockers is a design trick to a make car look lower.

My 87 Esprit Turbo came standard with blacked out rockers / splitter. Here's a pic of it.

I'd go the vinyl route too, keeps your options open.

Lotus_Esprit_4.jpg

Blacked out rockers is a design trick to a make car look lower.

My 87 Esprit Turbo came standard with blacked out rockers / splitter. Here's a pic of it.

I'd go the vinyl route too, keeps your options open.

Lotus_Esprit_4.jpg
Man, I love those cars. ::thumb::

I guess I have more to say. Paint em and do it in a nice matt finish or at least a satin finish and don't for heavens sake clear over it and make it shiny. I'm willing to bet your going be happy with the end results and if you show the car your going to do a lot better and it has NOTHING to do with making the car look lower to the ground.

THAT depends on 2 things. 1: is the car a Sportsroof or a Mach 1? If it's a Sportsroof ( it does have the front chrome bumper), it was likely NOT painted other than body color. I owned a 71 302 Sportsroof and it was not painted black. I did paint it black anyway because I like that look. 2: YOUR preference. If you like it, paint it, but you'll also have to paint the valances as well. Also, as you car does not have the chrome moldings, I believe it should have a 1/4" black stripe just above the black-out as you already have hockey stripes. (Okay, mine has moldings as well as hockey stripes on a Mach 1. I like it so T.F.B.!!)

THAT depends on 2 things. 1: is the car a Sportsroof or a Mach 1? If it's a Sportsroof ( it does have the front chrome bumper), it was likely NOT painted other than body color. I owned a 71 302 Sportsroof and it was not painted black. I did paint it black anyway because I like that look. 2: YOUR preference. If you like it, paint it, but you'll also have to paint the valances as well. Also, as you car does not have the chrome moldings, I believe it should have a 1/4" black stripe just above the black-out as you already have hockey stripes. (Okay, mine has moldings as well as hockey stripes on a Mach 1. I like it so T.F.B.!!)
I'm pretty sure Barry's is a legit Mach 1, and there were issues with his urethane bumper. Just like with mine (also has a chrome bumper) - but, I more like had issues with my painter: he couldn't figure out how to prep and make the paint stick to the urethane bumper. I got fed up waiting, so I told him to just blow it off and I'll get a chrome bumper. I kinda actually like it better, so it stays (until I get tired of defending it, that is - then maybe I'll get the urethane bumper back in shape and reinstalled).

Mine also had the bright trim strips above the rockers (no stripes), but it had been wrecked and repaired, so the 4 strips on both fenders were missing. I was planning on stripes and spoilers, so pulled the remaining trim, sent it to another forum member, ground off the mounting studs, and went with the rocker stripe... can't be havin' stripes and bright work after all. ;) rofl So far, I've decided against the stripes, so mine's even more not 'correct' since it has no stripes and no bright trim. (What exactly does "T.F.B." mean again, anyway? lollerz )

OK - so, Barry: which way are you leaning, anyway? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

It is a legit Mach 1 but the bottom never got painted. I think I am leaning towards leaving it as is for now! I might try the wrap at some point but it does look good the way it is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

But the '69 Mach 1 had a black out hood without painted rockers, Scott.

And it looks fantastic.

Painting the rocker panels tends to give a slimmer appearance if that is something you would like.

I find your car refreshing without them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Good Point. The 69 Mach looks great with just the mid body stripe.

I'm pretty sure Barry's is a legit Mach 1, and there were issues with his urethane bumper. Just like with mine (also has a chrome bumper) - but, I more like had issues with my painter: he couldn't figure out how to prep and make the paint stick to the urethane bumper. I got fed up waiting, so I told him to just blow it off and I'll get a chrome bumper. I kinda actually like it better, so it stays (until I get tired of defending it, that is - then maybe I'll get the urethane bumper back in shape and reinstalled).

Mine also had the bright trim strips above the rockers (no stripes), but it had been wrecked and repaired, so the 4 strips on both fenders were missing. I was planning on stripes and spoilers, so pulled the remaining trim, sent it to another forum member, ground off the mounting studs, and went with the rocker stripe... can't be havin' stripes and bright work after all. ;) rofl So far, I've decided against the stripes, so mine's even more not 'correct' since it has no stripes and no bright trim. (What exactly does "T.F.B." mean again, anyway? lollerz )

OK - so, Barry: which way are you leaning, anyway? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:
I had similar problems with my urethane bumper and have twice painted it only to be disappointed with the finish. I'm going to try again but I'm sending to a professional this time but for right now I'm using a chrome bumper too. Hopefully this time it will come out good. Barry your car looks great and it's in the end your decision as to whether or not to paint it but as a real honest to goodness Mach1 I feel your best bet for value would be to paint it. Just my opinion.

Ah! so it is a legit Mach 1. I guess it would have been painted from the factory, but it's a personal choice for Barry. Looks good in Yellow as is.

I'm not experienced with painting cars, but from I learned, I believe the issue with painting the urethane bumper is the need for a flex agent in the primer, top coat and clear coat. So far mine is standing up, no cracks.

As for leaving the bright work on, it would have entailed welding up a few clip mounting holes if I remember and I decided to leave them on. My reasoning was; the car didn't have stripes on originally and if I sold it to a purist, then the stripes could be removed easier that re-applying the bright work. Just thinking ahead. Besides no-one other than a Mustang nut knows anyway.

TFB! That actually came about when I casually applied the inspection stickers on the cowl. As you'll know, they were put on basically wherever the line guy felt like. At a show, a buddy was looking at the newly refinished engine bay when someone asked "what does TFB stand for" My buddy chirped in with "Too Fu**in' Bad".... if you don't like the way it looks. (it's not a concours job)

Didn't mean to get off track here, but questions were asked.

Wow Stanglover nice job on that engine VERY WELL DONE! It's just the way I love to see them.
Thank you, and very much appreciated. I too like to see them as they were. The chrome and bling does nothing for me.

I did a post some time ago on my engine bay detailing if you did not see it. However, I still need to get that PCV tube around the back of the carb to make it look better.

Geoff.

My Mach 1 is in no way a showroom car, LOL! It has a Lokar Shifter and digital gauges! So yeah, I'm not worried about keeping it original or winning shows...I like to cruise around town and turn heads! That is my gratification...

I have heard the plastic bumper horror stories and I am perfectly happy with the chrome replacement, LOL! :whistling:

My Mach 1 is in no way a showroom car, LOL! It has a Lokar Shifter and digital gauges! So yeah, I'm not worried about keeping it original or winning shows...I like to cruise around town and turn heads! That is my gratification...

I have heard the plastic bumper horror stories and I am perfectly happy with the chrome replacement, LOL! :whistling:
You asked, we answered. That said, I personally love the yellow on your car and I actually do like the chrome bumper as it has one on the rear anyway. It's bright and cheerful and YOUR car my friend. Enjoy it any way you like. It will certainly turn heads anywhere.

PS. I love your artwork on your signature!!

Last edited by a moderator:
(Okay, mine has moldings as well as hockey stripes on a Mach 1. I like it so T.F.B.!!)
So far, I've decided against the stripes, so mine's even more not 'correct' since it has no stripes and no bright trim. (What exactly does "T.F.B." mean again, anyway? lollerz )
TFB! That actually came about when I casually applied the inspection stickers on the cowl. As you'll know, they were put on basically wherever the line guy felt like. At a show, a buddy was looking at the newly refinished engine bay when someone asked "what does TFB stand for" My buddy chirped in with "Too Fu**in' Bad".... if you don't like the way it looks. (it's not a concours job)

Didn't mean to get off track here, but questions were asked.
LOL! No, I got what the TFB meant... I was being sarcastic, but thanks for the explanation! ::thumb:: rofl

As for leaving the bright work on, it would have entailed welding up a few clip mounting holes if I remember and I decided to leave them on. My reasoning was; the car didn't have stripes on originally and if I sold it to a purist, then the stripes could be removed easier that re-applying the bright work. Just thinking ahead. Besides no-one other than a Mustang nut knows anyway.
OK - I can get behind that. Someone actually thinking ahead. :bravo:

Back