Single to Dual Exhaust Conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstrong

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351C - 2V - Sportsroof
I completed tearing down my 73' single exhaust, and am converting to dual. I have a complete dual system and dual hanger kit. I ran into a issue where the hanger mount location on the driver's side doesn't have the threaded nut or whatever is in the support to mount the muffler hanger. Any ideas, or thoughts as to what to do (other than have it welded on)?

I have the same problem. I'm looking in to nut-serts or, welding retainer nuts.

I have the same problem. I'm looking in to nut-serts or, welding retainer nuts.
Funny thing is that the rear hanger bolted in. I thought about toggle bolt, but, thought again....

just weld in the hanger. Thats what they did to mine. Either that or drill a hole and make it yourself.
I remember a local muffler shop when I was a young man would "add a side" for $29.95

I also only made $3.50 per hour as a tire tech at the local Sears Store.

- Paul

Personally, I've always had 2 hangars.

Always thought one would have been plenty though.

That is a frustrating dilemma that Ford put us in, I guess they went cheap there when they didn't anywhere else.

Think about this. If you want to convert an automating to manual, the weld nuts for the Z-bar are already in the frame rail. For dual exhaust conversion, the weld nuts are in the rear frame rail for the rear hangar, but not in the crossmember for the drivers side muffler.

Having said that, I used a 1/4 inch drill and 5/8 thread cutters to bolt my drivers side on yesterday. I could not find suitable inserts anywhere.

kcmash

there is a special nut that you can probably use but i forgot what they are called . you install it in the hole then use a tool too install it . they are used on the doors to hold the screws for the mirrors but come in different sizes . ill try to look them up later if no one else posts them.

Guys,

Typically the exhaust shops would use some type of self tapping screw, fast & easy !!! I believe mine were like 5/16 with a 1/2 wrench head.The depression was already in the tin for the dual exhaust hanger as I recall.

Barnett,

you are thinking about "nut-serts" that were used for mirrors, etc.

Guys,

Typically the exhaust shops would use some type of self tapping screw, fast & easy !!! I believe mine were like 5/16 with a 1/2 wrench head.The depression was already in the tin for the dual exhaust hanger as I recall.

Barnett,

you are thinking about "nut-serts" that were used for mirrors, etc.
Ahhh, yes thanks.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=5%2F16%22+nut+serts

Nutserts

Ribbed nutserts

Rivet Nut insetts

Riv-Nuts

The ribbed ones are easier to install without the tool if the insert fits snugly enough in the hole that it won't rotate when a bolt is installed in it and tightened . If you use this type, put a flat washer on the bolt with some grease between the washer and bolt and some grease on the threads.

Back