So, do you STILL want an Electric car?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not like we are living in a country that has something like the Autobahn where you can go whatever Top Speed and or Acceleration your car possesses and lots of times still get pulled over by the Polizei, LOL! I remember in the 70's me driving in the Fast Lane going 140 mph and seeing cars driven by U. S. Personnel in the far right lane probably being too afraid driving faster than 55mph they were used to!
Unless the U. S. Government raises the Speed Limit (which will probably never happen) I will tucker along with the posted Speed Limits! Sorry for being a little off the original topic!!
Don't worry, the original topic, while just something as a joke, had the underlying intent to get a conversation going about the wonders of electric cars as they are today.

Dinosaurs 🦖 became expendable at some point . Horses got replaced by ICE vehicles and so on. I love my classic cars but time waits for nobody. I like the instant acceleration of performance electric cars. There are lots of hurdles to work out. We will see what happens. I’m not telling ANYONE they should drive a electric car.
Yep, we are still in the infancy of EV tech. It, like the original cars and computer technology, will rapidly progress as we try different technology and see what works. Plus, we are at a point technologically, where changes and developments will be coming, dare I say it...fast and furious.
We are also at a point where we have to look at the next evolution of power supply for our civilization. What we are using now is an evolution of a 130 year old system.

It's not like we are living in a country that has something like the Autobahn where you can go whatever Top Speed and or Acceleration your car possesses and lots of times still get pulled over by the Polizei, LOL! I remember in the 70's me driving in the Fast Lane going 140 mph and seeing cars driven by U. S. Personnel in the far right lane probably being too afraid driving faster than 55mph they were used to!
Unless the U. S. Government raises the Speed Limit (which will probably never happen) I will tucker along with the posted Speed Limits! Sorry for being a little off the original topic!!
Well, you do you. Just not in the left lane. LOL.

I always was aware of the fact that life is short since I was very young. The whole debate about the future of "ICE" automobiles versus the battery powered appliances seems a little pointless when you are middle aged. The younger generation don't give a shit about anything other than texting on their phones and occasionally eating. They want it all the reward without the sweat and effort.

Ron

I always was aware of the fact that life is short since I was very young. The whole debate about the future of "ICE" automobiles versus the battery powered appliances seems a little pointless when you are middle aged. The younger generation don't give a shit about anything other than texting on their phones and occasionally eating. They want it all the reward without the sweat and effort.

Ron
Ain't that the truth!

Ha the whole thing looks concocted.
I was scrolling through YouTube videos last night as there was f'all on TV. I saw that, or a similar video listed, but did not waste time looking at it.
There are way too many fakes out there and I think we all need to be objective. There are some clever bastards out there with way too much time on there hands.
There are however, some real videos of EV cars burning and it's damn scary the way they burn. Firemen just can't put them out with water, so they have to let them burn.

The acceleration on a dual motor Tesla is unmatched. Even at high speed when you punch it, it accelerates just as hard as it does leaving the line. They accelerate so hard they might even give you a headache. You can definitely feel everything sloshing around upstairs. I'd enourage anyone to drive one at least once, just make sure it's a dual motor car. I still would not own one, but I do rent them when I'm in California for work because I get to use the HOV lane because I'm in a EV and it cuts my travel time way down, and if you've ever spent time on the 405 you know what a nightmare that can be.

The acceleration on a dual motor Tesla is unmatched. Even at high speed when you punch it, it accelerates just as hard as it does leaving the line. They accelerate so hard they might even give you a headache. You can definitely feel everything sloshing around upstairs. I'd enourage anyone to drive one at least once, just make sure it's a dual motor car. I still would not own one, but I do rent them when I'm in California for work because I get to use the HOV lane because I'm in a EV and it cuts my travel time way down, and if you've ever spent time on the 405 you know what a nightmare that can be.
My next EV will be Model S Plaid.....performance unmatched

Oh, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with electric motors. They efficient, powerful, fast and all the good things we like about power. I just totally disagree with the BS we're being subjected to about pollution. Sure, the cars themselves while running produce zero emissions, but mining the Lithium sure ain't.
My one and only experience on the 405 was when I went to LA in 2008 to see my Mustang. It wasn't too bad going out to Santa Clarita, but coming back was a whole different story.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with electric motors. They efficient, powerful, fast and all the good things we like about power. I just totally disagree with the BS we're being subjected to about pollution. Sure, the cars themselves while running produce zero emissions, but mining the Lithium sure ain't.
My one and only experience on the 405 was when I went to LA in 2008 to see my Mustang. It wasn't too bad going out to Santa Clarita, but coming back was a whole different story.
Yup. You're just shifting emissions from one place to another. My other issue is that when battery replacement is needed, it's $20k+. And you're going to need one eventually. You can buy quite a few 5.0 Coyotes before you hit $20k.

Yup. You're just shifting emissions from one place to another. My other issue is that when battery replacement is needed, it's $20k+. And you're going to need one eventually. You can buy quite a few 5.0 Coyotes before you hit $20k.
Sort of...yes, you are shifting emissions, but it is easier to reduce the emissions/pollution for a given amount of energy created if it is a centralized power generating facility. A power plant can be made to run at optimum efficiency and least pollution compared to each and every car running up and down the rpm range to produce that same power. It's one of the reasons diesel locomotives work. They can be set up to run at the most efficient, power producing rpm.
A powerplant is just an application of efficiencies of scale, not just producing power, but in emission reduction.

As for battery replacement cost, that is being addressed a couple of ways. One approach is to downcycle the battery packs when they are no longer suitable for vehicle use. The batteries are not necessarily dead, just not good for vehicle use. One plan is to downcycle them into applications that are not as demanding, like backup batteries for hospitals, emergency power during natural disasters, or even for your house. And they would provide the much needed storage for power generated by wind/solar for use when the sun and wind are off.
And all of this applies to any battery tech, not just lithium based (no argument on the lithium problem).
Another is the continuing development. Better batteries that hold more charge can reduce the number or cost needed for a performance goal. Not all cars need to be Plaid capable!

At this time in the EV evolution, hybrids are the better option. EV's that charge their own batteries would be better yet.
I was reading about one idea of running power conduits under the roads and using induction technology to charge as you drive. Probably something to combine with getting our power transmission lines out of the trees...

I was reading about one idea of running power conduits under the roads and using induction technology to charge as you drive. Probably something to combine with getting our power transmission lines out of the trees...
Yeah, I'm sure thing will develop and change beyond our wildest dreams in the future, just like the first cars went from basically horseless carriages to today's super cars. A gasoline engine was thought to be powerful if it produced 20-30 hp, but now your average is around 200 hp. Who knows, maybe the Jetsons were not too far from reality.

I always did have a crush on Rosie....

Yeah, I'm sure thing will develop and change beyond our wildest dreams in the future, just like the first cars went from basically horseless carriages to today's super cars. A gasoline engine was thought to be powerful if it produced 20-30 hp, but now your average is around 200 hp. Who knows, maybe the Jetsons were not too far from reality.
Our future is a lot closer than most of us think. It's that goody time perception thing. When you are young, everything that happened before you was slow and glacial in its progress...50 years of history was like eternity. But when you hit 60, or near enough, the last 30 years seems like it flew by.
I still don't really feel old at 58. I look at tech development with this in mind: my grandfather was born in 1915. Biplanes, horse drawn wagons were still the norm for many, no radio, more often than not, you had a well for water.
By the time he was the age I am now, we had put men on the moon, television was everywhere, Al Gore had invented the internet (actually it was DARPA, but thanks to the internet people still think he actually said that...), and the template for the modern supercar was already in production.
Just 58 years. And we're accelerating our development. Compare a 70s EV with a 90s EV and then a current EV.
They are just getting started.

Ford has lost over $6 billion in just the last 3 years jumping on the EV trendy bandwagon. During last weeks investor call Ford ceo Jim Farley told us he's rethinking the timing and "all in" (at any cost Mr Farley??) commitment to EV's. As the attached article states hybrids are taking center stage. Evidently it took 6 billion dollars for someone to wake up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/28/ford-embraces-hybrids-as-it-loses-billions-on-evs.html

Back