soda or sand blasting? Bumper question 73 vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greghen

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
So starting in on the mustang first project up (starting small) is to replace the current bumper with a correct one. So I was able to remove the current bumper and found that the bumper brackets (bumper to car) had a nice layer of rust on it. The bolts that I attached it were in rough shape as well, had to cut them off.. So I have 2 question and 1 poll...

Question - any idea where I can get a set of 4 new bolts are the special sizes or specs? Want to use the right ones the prior owner didn't.

Question - I ordered the new bumper from CJ and they suggested I order new bumper pads. I didn't see anything like this come over the old bumper, Where do they go?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/BUMPER-BRACKET-MOUNTING-PAD-REAR-SET-1965-1973/p/HW572/

Poll Question - Now I have the rust to blast off.. So it is a great reason to get a compressor and blaster (I think.) I'm reading soda blasting is a good way to go as it can take on the rust and also help out on some of the chrome pieces. A little less abrasive. So what do you guys think? Soda blasting or sand blasting?

I use a blast cabinet with black aluminum oxide. Make sure your compressor flows more CPM than your blast cabinet.

The blast cabinet has the advantage for things that fit in it, while the soda blaster is used outside and size isn't an issue. I would blast bumper brackets in a cabinet (and will be soon).

I use a blast cabinet with 70 grit alum oxide for steel and glass beads for alum. I use a seperate gun for alum oxide outside on bigger pieces, but it makes a huge mess so am thinking of going to soda for big stuff. I had my '73 soda blasted prior to paint and it did a nice job.

Steve

So starting in on the mustang first project up (starting small) is to replace the current bumper with a correct one. So I was able to remove the current bumper and found that the bumper brackets (bumper to car) had a nice layer of rust on it. The bolts that I attached it were in rough shape as well, had to cut them off.. So I have 2 question and 1 poll...

Question - any idea where I can get a set of 4 new bolts are the special sizes or specs? Want to use the right ones the prior owner didn't.

Question - I ordered the new bumper from CJ and they suggested I order new bumper pads. I didn't see anything like this come over the old bumper, Where do they go?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/BUMPER-BRACKET-MOUNTING-PAD-REAR-SET-1965-1973/p/HW572/

Poll Question - Now I have the rust to blast off.. So it is a great reason to get a compressor and blaster (I think.) I'm reading soda blasting is a good way to go as it can take on the rust and also help out on some of the chrome pieces. A little less abrasive. So what do you guys think? Soda blasting or sand blasting?
The bolt set is AMK Products F1527, comes with the pads. Soda or glass bead. Chuck

From what I understand it's all a matter of heat and desired finish when blasting. You definitely don't want to use sand on body metal due to the abrasive friction which causes heat and warpage. Glass bead is cooler and on aluminum, like an intake, gives a good finish. where as soda, walnut shell material is very cold (more expensive) But will give you a great finish. Depends on the parts your doing and the thickness and visibility of them.

i sand blasted my 72 bumper and that worked fine. be sure to use the softeners when you prime and paint the bumper. if you don't use it the whole blasting was for nothing.

Back