Some pics from this weekends interior color change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
My original interior was white, but it turns out what I thought was white was just a sun bleached out version. I say that because when I was pulling all the panels apart there was a big difference between the two colors. The original white was more like an ivory/cream color and there was no way I was keeping it that way. I understand the whole "original" aspect of it but if that is the case and I ever decide the unload the car I'll just spray them back. So all of my factory panels are in really good shape so I decided to spray them all black. I just need to replace the headliner and pull the dash so I can get the pillar pieces. I'll pretty much be at a stand still for a little while because I'm waiting on a friend of mine with a lift to help with all the mechanical stuff I'll be doing. While I had the door panels off I cleaned up the insides with navel jelly and sprayed them down with a Rust-Oleum. The doors are in really good shape! I have all new carpet and I'll be ordering some kind of black and red seat covers in the near future. Well here is where she's at!

Mach1-1.jpg

View attachment 34905

View attachment 34906

View attachment 34907

Nice job. White interiors are a PITA to keep clean, especially in a convertible. Which is why I wanted to do the same thing and paint it all black but the one good thing (well, besides looking cool) of a white interior in a very is that you don't burn your more sensible areas to a crisp when the car is sitting in the sun with the top down.

So I left it white. I like a lot what you did there.

Great job and thanks for sharing. I've been debating which products to use for doing the same. Looks like you were very successful with using SEM.
I used SEM products for plastic finishing most of the time when I worked prototyping automotive air induction products. I found SEM products stood up to sever testing of the proto's. I would not hesitate to use SEM products, period.

Geoff.

Yeah, I'm officially a fan of SEM products. I probably won't get much more into the interior until I get the bottom of the car done along with my suspension. I should be hearing from my buddy who is going to help out with that soon. It's worth waiting for someone that has a lift in their garage! This will definitely go into the winter....

Back