Someone please tell me how this goes on

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
I am finishing up my interior and this piece, I assume goes around the steering column. For some reason it is not cooperating. Anyone have any good pics or assistance on this? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Attachments

• 72E846ED-0ACA-48DB-88ED-6C8503A9FAAA.jpeg
    72E846ED-0ACA-48DB-88ED-6C8503A9FAAA.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 13
You gently stretch it around the column, the seam goes down. There is a metal clip that pinches it together. The rest of the details I am not sure of…I also want to know…😀

Thanks Ribs, for some reason, I have 2 of them and neither one have a metal clip. I stretched it around the column and no matter what, it feels too big to go into the cluster bezel space to cover the column properly. Maybe it just goes over the column behind the dash cluster bezel and I am missing another cover? I will be doing a multitude of more searches here to see if anyone has posted any good pics of the install. I finally got my dash pad in the last few days and the rest of the dash bezels, so I am hyped up to finish the interior this weekend.

Tom

Yeah, if I remember, the metal clip has a tab that goes to the bottom and attaches to the dash, but don't quote me on that. They are a little sloppy for sure. You NEED that clip. No idea if you can buy just the clip, but maybe someone has one they can let you have.

Maybe the lower column cover that attaches to dash has to be off to wrap it around…;

Thanks Ribs, I have that off now and I can get this piece around the column but it seems like the diameter is just too large to fit within the diameter of the upper and lower column covers without having to kinda roll this part over itself. I hope that makes sense. It was in a box when I got the car, so honestly, it may actually be for a different year group. I am going to give it another try in a few minutes after I get some coffee in me, sometimes I need to just take a break from a task and then get back to it later to figure it out. I will post if I figure it out. Thanks.

Tom

Hello Tom,
Those shrouds can be a PIA on a good day. Since you mentioned that the shroud was in a box of parts when you got this car, you need to check the engineering number inside the part you have. Some similar shrouds are utilized on other Ford/Mercury car lines. The steering column shroud/collar is the same for tilt/non-tilt applications on '71-73 Mustang and Cougars. The Ford part # for the collar is D1ZZ-3530-A (ID# D1ZA-AWC, BA, CA) which was replaced by D3ZZ-3530-A (ID# D3ZA-BA). The prefix D1ZA and D3ZA is the main part of the engineering # you need to check. That would identify if for Mustang/Cougar applications. Since these parts were molded in color for assembly plant use, the suffix is used more for that purpose.
As already posted, a clip (D1AZ-3D695-A) is used to hold the shroud together on non-tilt applications. Ford also used this clip on '70/Full-size Ford, Torino, Maverick, T-Bird, and sister Mercury vehicles. Many of these were bent or broken when the shrouds were improperly removed. Some of the prices I've seen on used clips reflect their rarity. A repo clip is now available through NPD (National Parts Depot). The price may seem a little high, but when you see the prices on the used ones, it's not bad for an improved part.
The flange butts up the arrow marked section of the instrument cluster cover/bezel (D1ZZ-10883-B06A) and the lower cover (D1ZZ-6504459-A).

https://www.npdlink.com/product/ret...3d695-a&top_parent=200001&year=1971&year=1971

Attachments

• 3d695-d1az-a.jpg
    3d695-d1az-a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 10b883-D1ZZ-BO6A.jpg
    10b883-D1ZZ-BO6A.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 6504459-D1ZZ-A.jpg
    6504459-D1ZZ-A.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 3530-d1zz-a1.jpg
    3530-d1zz-a1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for the pics and part numbers, I gave it another try and was able to get it into place by using a couple zip ties to compress the diameter and hold it in place. I need to install the column mounting bracket first but afterwards I will install the lower column bezel to see if everything stays in place. Now to see if that missing clip is somewhere in my bolts bin. More to follow, thanks everyone for your help.

Tom

I verified the part number on the shroud, D3ZA-3530-AWB. Since I have an extra one, I verified that part number and it is the same as well. I was not able to install the lower cover with the steering column shroud on, it would not fit around the shroud, so I took the shroud off and the lower cover fit perfectly. I will have to rethink this and figure something out. I will post up any results and pics when I figure this fitment issue out. Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Tom

There is a metal clip about 2” long that attaches with a top and bottom tab into small slots on the underside of the steering column. The piece itself compresses so that the inner tabs on the plastic ring going the metal clip.

Thanks for the pics and part numbers, I gave it another try and was able to get it into place by using a couple zip ties to compress the diameter and hold it in place. I need to install the column mounting bracket first but afterwards I will install the lower column bezel to see if everything stays in place. Now to see if that missing clip is somewhere in my bolts bin. More to follow, thanks everyone for your help.

Tom
The clip might still be attached to the bottom of the steering column.

how do you remove the clip that holds the "middle" steering column shroud pieces together? i've removed the lower shroud and can look inside the middle shroud and can see the clip, but dont want to break anything trying to take it apart.
Thanks in advance.
I just used a set of pliers, grab the bottom tab and pull it back towards the dash.
Right way, wrong way, no idea, but it worked for me. Put it back in the same way.

I just used a set of pliers, grab the bottom tab and pull it back towards the dash.
Right way, wrong way, no idea, but it worked for me. Put it back in the same way.
Thanks- I found a slot in the side of the clip to insert a screwdriver in and pulled it off. I was probably overly cautious to keep from breaking anything.

Back