Space saver spare tire bottle....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

I have had this bottle for ages... cant remember where or when I got it, probably the All Ford Swap meet in Columbus, Ohio, sometime after 1992...

For those that have a original installed bottle on their car's, can they comment on the authenticity of this bottle? It is still full of air. No markings on it that I can see other then the label, which could be an aftermarket addition. Would like to confirm the origins of the bottle once and for all. Thanks

space saver spare bottle (2).jpg

space saver spare bottle3 (2).jpg

space saver spare bottle2 (2).jpg

It looks very close if not exactly like the one shown on the 429Megasite

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/trunk.htm

The cardboard under the label/sticker makes me think it is original bottle too. But I know they can be made out of the small propane bottles...

I think it would work! But whether it is the real McCoy is a tough one for me to call. On a side but related note I do remember reading some were mounted on top of the space saver spare and then others were correct under. I believe my late production 72 conv's was originally mounted on top. At least it was that way it was when I got it back in 1975 with about 24k miles on it. More research needed for me to be sure...

Ray

It looks very close if not exactly like the one shown on the 429Megasite

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/trunk.htm

The cardboard under the label/sticker makes me think it is original bottle too. But I know they can be made out of the small propane bottles...

I think it would work! But whether it is the real McCoy is a tough one for me to call. On a side but related note I do remember reading some were mounted on top of the space saver spare and then others were correct under. I believe my late production 72 conv's was originally mounted on top. At least it was that way it was when I got it back in 1975 with about 24k miles on it. More research needed for me to be sure...

Ray
Yes, I did look there too, but no real close ups... There are many imitations out there, but I have had this stored away for so long I finally pulled it out to take a closer look... I will be looking into this some more also, was just interested if someone had some info readily available based on what was in their trunk... I do recall the above and below scenario as well for these canisters as well. I will have to find that information...

Just a quick bit of info. If that was a propane or mapp gas bottle the connection on the top would be different. Much larger connection. Photo is of a mapp gas bottle but propane (LP) would be same size. So if it was made from one of those it would have had to have the outlet valve changed out.

image.jpg

I do believe it is an original bottle. I have had several bottles over the years with my current one being a known Ford service replacement bottle. I does look in good shape. It is correct to have the cardboard tube with the decal applied. See if the decal has the d2 sticker. There was some variation in the sticker size for 69-70 vs 71-73.

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

I am pretty certain the can actually did use a gas to fill the tire not air. Pics are on another computer so I could not look at my original. Tim in Germany rebuilt one last year and I sent pics of my original. He did a great job even had the cardboard right. Do a search for his thread and the pics I shared with him should be there. If I remember right those were like $16.00 back when they came out new. If your spare does not have the pop off valve do not inflate it. Several people were injured or killed before they recalled all of them and put the pop off valve in. They were using a compressor to inflate an tire blew up.

I am thinking that the cylinder had propane in it originally. They would leak down over time even new ones would be empty.

I never saw one on top of the spare. Your sticker on the trunk lid should show where it goes. Mine is like the one in your pic.

I am pretty certain the can actually did use a gas to fill the tire not air. Pics are on another computer so I could not look at my original. Tim in Germany rebuilt one last year and I sent pics of my original. He did a great job even had the cardboard right. Do a search for his thread and the pics I shared with him should be there. If I remember right those were like $16.00 back when they came out new. If your spare does not have the pop off valve do not inflate it. Several people were injured or killed before they recalled all of them and put the pop off valve in. They were using a compressor to inflate an tire blew up.

I am thinking that the cylinder had propane in it originally. They would leak down over time even new ones would be empty.

I never saw one on top of the spare. Your sticker on the trunk lid should show where it goes. Mine is like the one in your pic.
Good point on the "air", it actually is a gas in this canister, you can feel the difference when you shake it a bit. I am pretty sure mine is an original, just wanted to illicit some feedback on this part of the car, as you don't see much discussion concerning the space saver spare set up. Not sure what I will do with it, my car will have a full size spare once completed. You never know, it may be an omen for a future 'stang in my driveway...

Back