Spark Plugs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
I replaced my plugs the other day.

Had been using Champion 3025  but this

time I installed Champion RV12YC as listed

for use in my engine.  The 3025 is pictured

below when removed from the engine.

The new plugs made a big difference in the

engine's performance although there is nothing

wrong with the old plug. Why is that?  The car

is easier to start, runs smoother and has more

pickup at the pedal.  I am thinking of changing

the plugs with every oil change.  Big difference.

My mechanic has a theory.

mike

What is the theory? Never heard of having to change them that often except drag racing and melting them with nitro. Back in the day you pulled the plugs filed them and set the gap and put them back. Would run the same ones for 25,000 miles or more. The new platinum electrodes last much longer.

Did You Know. Thomas Edison convinced Henry Ford that if you had a Positive ground system in your car that the spark plugs would last longer? So Henry used a Positive Ground for many years. Ford changed in 1956 to negative ground I believe.

And as they say, "know you know". lol.

The new plugs you installed are resistor plugs. On an old car that may not amount to much but it may help.

I know that often a spark plug will sometimes cross references in a parts counter book, and it does not always work as intended. Had a buddy with a 94 Caprice with a 305. It had a miss. Did a big tune up(plugs, wires, the lot) and he still couldn't figure it out so he lived with it for years. After driving it for about 2-3 years he was trying to figure out the miss again and in the process he cracked one of the spark plugs trying to remove it. Figured he would change them all again. When he went to the parts counter the clerk gave him a different spark plug than he brought in because the plugs that he had crossed over to the 350ci engine. Figured same-same but whatever. He installed the new plugs with the correct number and the car ran great. Often it's the simple things and in this case, it was the very small things that mattered.

What is the theory? Never heard of having to change them that often except drag racing and melting them with nitro. Back in the day you pulled the plugs filed them and set the gap and put them back. Would run the same ones for 25,000 miles or more. The new platinum electrodes last much longer.

Did You Know. Thomas Edison convinced Henry Ford that if you had a Positive ground system in your car that the spark plugs would last longer? So Henry used a Positive Ground for many years. Ford changed in 1956 to negative ground I believe.

And as they say, "know you know". lol.
The theory was a change in resistance for whatever reason.

He nailed it. Don't know if the 3025's are resisters.

mike

Back